OEM SLP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A while ago I purchased Vista Ultimate from a local computer shop, which has long since closed it's doors. I don't have the documentation to prove it, since I paid in cash and the shop is now closed....

When I went on the install this morning it says "14 Days left to activate". Using the MGAdiag tool yields a widely seen (online) PID associated with a non-genuine "OEM-SLP" license.  Despite this, it passes at microsoft.com/genuine as valid, and the MGAdiag tool sees it as valid. It won't activate, and it's a fake license that's going to expire.

Since it was preinstalled, I don't have any install media. I want to buy a legit copy. I know with Windows XP there was a "WGA Kit" that offered users of software counterfeitting a much lower priced retail license. Is this offer availible for Vista?

In the meantime I'm using an old PC with a retail copy I purchased myself...but is there any way to reduce the activation time from 14 days to 0 days (odd question, I know, but I want to go legit asap)? Either that, or to order the WGA kit sooner?

Thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

I can't get you to the online Vista WGA Kit order site, but I can give you our North America WGA Kit order by phone, call center. It is (866) 530-6599.

If you are not located in North America, tell me the country you are located in and I will get you the phone number for the nearest order call center.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:00 PM
  • You may want to call again and confirm from another Rep. My understanding is that all Vista WGA Kit DVDs (regardless of Vista version) come with both 32 and 64bit.

Darin
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I just ran down the hall and talked to the lady that works in that Dept and yes, she says that the key that come in the WGA Kit works in either 32 or 64bit and a Vista that was installed using a WGA Kit key would be covered under the regular retail license.

Thanks for the questions, I learned something new, as well

Darin
    Friday, February 15, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Hi all,

I got my WGA kit today, a few things should be noted:
    -Darin was 100% right, this includes both x32 and x64 media.
    -The discs are not marked by edition, and your product key is not inside. Remember to write it down on the provided insert.

Thanks for all of the help Darin!
    Monday, February 18, 2008 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

I can't get you to the online Vista WGA Kit order site, but I can give you our North America WGA Kit order by phone, call center. It is (866) 530-6599.

If you are not located in North America, tell me the country you are located in and I will get you the phone number for the nearest order call center.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Darin,

I placed the order through that phone number a few minutes ago, very polite and hassle free!

Interestingly, they said the WGA kit for the Ultimate was x32 media only. I did have a retail copy I purchased and installed myself on a different PC (heavy Windows user) which came with the x64 Ultimate media, but I was surprised. Was the rep mistaken? She was very polite, and confident, but it seems that some coworkers gave her misinformation. (e.x. x64 is availible for OEMs only, retail Ultimate was 32-bit only included).

Just curious. She was outstanding and did all of the proper procedures to answer my questions (I was and am extremely satisfied by Microsoft's assistance and offer of a WGA Kit), but it seems odd that it would come without the x64 disk. Just curious if I'll get a second x64 disc or not.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm a spaz, I put "
    WGA kit for the Ultimate was x64 media only", I meant " WGA kit for the Ultimate was x32 media only". Sorry for any confusion.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:22 AM
  • You may want to call again and confirm from another Rep. My understanding is that all Vista WGA Kit DVDs (regardless of Vista version) come with both 32 and 64bit.

Darin
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:41 AM
  • That's interesting. Oh well, I've already ordered a set of spare x32/x64 discs from the software dept. at Microsoft (couldn't hurt to have spares in any event) and my order doesn't say whether or not it includes both.

Just to clarify, the WGA Kit key is a full retail key that will work on x32 AND x64? And it'll be transferable, like a regular retail license?

Thank you for all of your help
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:00 AM
  • I just ran down the hall and talked to the lady that works in that Dept and yes, she says that the key that come in the WGA Kit works in either 32 or 64bit and a Vista that was installed using a WGA Kit key would be covered under the regular retail license.

Thanks for the questions, I learned something new, as well

Darin
    Friday, February 15, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Thank you so much Darin! This sounds great. I read about the terms for the XP WGA kit in (the Phillipines, I think it was) and they said it was a nontransferrable OEM license. I'm so happy that the Vista WGA kit is retail!

I was worried about x64 since my new key would not allow me to order from the "Vista Alternate Media" page (to get an x64 disk), so I though it might actually be x32 only.

Thanks for everything! Big Smile

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Hi all,

I got my WGA kit today, a few things should be noted:
    -Darin was 100% right, this includes both x32 and x64 media.
    -The discs are not marked by edition, and your product key is not inside. Remember to write it down on the provided insert.

Thanks for all of the help Darin!
    Monday, February 18, 2008 4:32 PM