Seperate system vs data storage setup RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I keep reading stuff, but am still confused as to the recommendations.

So, here is what I would like to do and does it work?  I want to be able to have the OS on a drive(s) which is totally seperate from the Data.  This way when I need to update from Beta 2, I am hoping my backups get left alone.  Now, since it is not clear that the OS disc is raided at all, and I would hate to lose all the accounts, etc., I was thinking of using 2 160gig drives in raid 1. This way if I lose the OS disc, I am covered.  Now, I would then put in 2 750 gig drives, each in raid 0.  This is where I would put my backups, shared data, etc.  Now, when I need to update, reload etc the OS, my data should be totally independent and I have will not lose my backups?

So, what am I missing with the above setup?

Now, I did not load the first couple of times with 3 drives.  So, I am assuming when I reload again with 3 drives, it will ask me about putting the OS on a single drive. (which in my case would be a raid 1 with 2 160 drives.)

Dave

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:06 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server will store your data on drives other than the OS drive when you have more than one disk (unless your second disk fills up).  My recommendation would be definitely back up your information before upgrading, but you should be OK with just adding hard drives to your Windows Home Server.  You shouldn't have to use RAID.  When you upgrade to the latest build, it should upgrade WITHOUT deleting any information other than the Windows Home Server applications.  Backups, Shares, users, and other data will be saved and still accessible after the OS upgrade.

If you decide to do a repair install (booting from the DVD and clicking upgrade), all that will be lost are your users and backups.  Your shares will remain.

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:54 PM