Unable to RESTORE files RRS feed

• Question

• Unable to restore files.

My computer was stolen. Now I am trying to restore my files to a new computer.

I did what all of the other threads indicated, I select the files , and then I get a "Restore Cannot Continue" window with the message "Unknown problems . . . try again later or restart your computer" . None of those suggestions work.

HELP ! ! ! !  PLEASE ! ! !  

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm having the same headache as well PC died from voltage strike during thunderstorm a few weeks ago lost most data

finally got up and running this week, and tried to start restoring back up disks, the problem I'm seeing is that a 5GB disk

contains 283GB of data wow incredible compression, so I have to get an external drive with excess storage like 1TB or go

back to Backup with ASR disk, but I've also been looking at MACS, Here I thought I was safe but like everything Microsoft no GARUNTEES.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:12 AM
  • I suggest contacting support to get help with restoring your data. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I was hoping that the purpose of this discussion board was to have us all help each other with problems.

I cannot restore my files backed up with OneCare. I'm sure there are other people who have been in my position who have been able to fix the problem and go on. Those of you that have, please post a reply.

I see the "contact ms support" a lot in these discussion threads. I'm sure that they are very nice people. This has me really worried about OneCare.

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:31 PM
  • As much as anyone would like to help you resolve this issue, support is the best option. Tech support has the training and resources to help find a solution. As a reader of your post, I cannot determine if the problem lies with the backups, or with the computer such as missing updates, conflicting software or an operating system error. Additionally many of the issues posted in this forum have not been personally experienced by the moderators or other users, or the solution may be technically complex enough to warrant a one-on-one session with a technical support professional. As always, anyone who has advice or insight to offer is welcome to jump in to the conversation.

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:52 PM
  • You're correct, OB1.

This forum is for user to user discussions and help. However, since most people come here for help and don't often return to offer their solution to others, the reason that we post the advice to contact support is that tech support should not be overlooked to get help with a problem.

Within the forum you will find a variety of solutions for problems with restoring files. We do refer to things that have been found to work, but we also recognize that working with support may be the best path to diagnose and resolve a troubling problem.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Yes, I know that what you say makes sense. BUT . . . . It has now been over 26 hours since I contacted email support and still no response. I kind of get the feeling that they may be swamped with these kind of questions.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Since you last posted about 18 hours ago, you should have had a response by now. If you didn't please provide your case ID here or submit another case and be sure to check your junk mail folders for a response. Support should typically respond within 24 hours.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:11 PM