Why does WHSV1 to WHS2011RTM server-to-server copy fail? RRS feed

• Question

• Newly built WHS2011 RTM has 160GB OS drive; 1TB Clients and Shares drive, and a second 1TB drive which mirrors the first. For Server Backup I have an external 2TB USB drive. Server has quad processor and 8GB memory.

So far all is ok except when I try to copy (with copy-paste)  my 91GB, 26k song,  iTunes Music folder from WHSv1 to the Music Share on WHS2011RTM, the copy simply ceases while the "...calculating time" box is displayed. This situation is fully reproducible. There is no error message. Nothing is copied. 12GB Pictures copied just fine. As did 20GB Videos.

No other applications anywhere are accessing these folders during the copy. All drives have been successfully chkdsked.

Am I violating some max? 

Using an inappropriate copying technique?

In any case what steps can I take to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot  for any insights.

Friday, April 15, 2011 2:05 AM

Answers

• It seems there have been many complaints about Album Art showing up under Pictures when Streaming Media. Therefore WHS MAY have intentionally excluded these JPEGs to solve this problem.

I cannot find definitively that this is the case. But I like the logic and I'm satisfied for now.

Addendum 4/20: Changing Win7 Folder Options to unhide operating system files  allows the Album Art JPEGs to be viewed!
    • Marked as answer by jamesf3 Monday, April 18, 2011 10:39 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Patience.. the process is still running to start of. With this number of files "calculating" takes time.
    Way to much in my opinion, I agree..

Newly built WHS2011 RTM has 160GB OS drive; 1TB Clients and Shares drive, and a second 1TB drive which mirrors the first. For Server Backup I have an external 2TB USB drive. Server has quad processor and 8GB memory.

So far all is ok except when I try to copy (with copy-paste)  my 91GB, 26k song,  iTunes Music folder from WHSv1 to the Music Share on WHS2011RTM, the copy simply ceases while the "...calculating time" box is displayed. This situation is fully reproducible. There is no error message. Nothing is copied. 12GB Pictures copied just fine. As did 20GB Videos.

No other applications anywhere are accessing these folders during the copy. All drives have been successfully chkdsked.

Am I violating some max? 

Using an inappropriate copying technique?

In any case what steps can I take to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot  for any insights.

Have a nice day!
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Ok, I have waited 2 hours and nothing happens. To clarify, the "estimating time.." windows disappears completely after about one minute. After it disappears, it seems to not matter how long I wait for the copying to begin. The copying never begins.

I have previously turned off Server Backup and made certain no client apps are accessing the 2 servers.

My copying method is to access the destination Windows Home Server 2011 via Remote Desktop connection and the WHS v1 server by right clicking the green server icon to access the shared folder. Then the copy and paste.

This minute, I'm trying to copy just the iTunes Music folders for artists A-C, which is a small fraction. The copy process has begun, with a reported 2 hours remaining. I'll report the outcome.

Thank you.

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:52 PM
  • >Ok, I have waited 2 hours and nothing happens. To clarify, the "estimating time.." windows disappears completely after about one minute. After it disappears, it seems to not matter how long I wait for the copying to begin. The copying never begins.

It seems WHSv2 has a problem with directories with large numbers of
    files -- it seems to take way too much memory when it tries to
    enumerate the directory.

Anyway, use a cmd prompt and copy or xcopy command to do the copy, it
    should be faster and more reliable.  I don't have any directories of
    files nearly that large to test with, but I bet it'll work well.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, April 15, 2011 1:11 PM
  • I tried xcopy with a single directory just to get the syntax worked out. When I finally did get the command working correctly, I discovered that no .jpg was copied. The xcopy detail listing showed the jpg (e.g. album art) being copied, yet it really was not.

So I looked at the directories which I thought copy-paste had previously & correctly copied from the WHSv1 server to the Windows Home Server 2011. Sadly I discovered that not a single jpg had been copied with that method also!

What could be happening that causes the JPGs to be left behind both ways?

Thanks much.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:28 AM
  • That is bizarre -- I can't think of a valid reason that would happen
    without some kind of serious bug.  Can you try the copy command on
    just one, or a set of .jpg's to see if it does any different?

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:42 AM
  • New test results:

In whatever manner I copy the JPEGS to WHS2o11 server, they ARE being copied ok. BUT, I cannot display any.jpg file when using a Remote Desktop Connection, from a variety of clients.

However, when browsing directly to the WHS2011 server from a client, the jpg shows in Explorer and displays perfectly in any application. So clearly the files are being copied but I just cannot see them when looking from RDC.

I've searched broadly and unsuccessfully  for RDC and Server 2008 options which might inhibit .jpg display. I cannot find a thing.

Learning to migrate from WHSv1 to WHS2011 is taking me where I never figured to go!

What the heck is going on?

Thanks a lot.

Jim

Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:19 PM
  • New test results:

All this trouble is related to only the Music folder on the source WHSv1 server. All other folders can be copied and used normally. Copy, xcopy, robocopy, RichCopy all copy the .mp3 files over to the new WHS2011 server where they are visible and usable. However, the .jpg album art files are copied ok but are NOT visible to any program on the server including windows Explorer. These same JPEGs are visible from a client computer.

The source Music folder has full control for "everyone". 

What the heck could prevent a .jpg file from being recognized on the WHS2011 server?

I wonder what other file formats might also be invisible. That's the next test series.

Thanks for pondering.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:33 PM
  • It seems there have been many complaints about Album Art showing up under Pictures when Streaming Media. Therefore WHS MAY have intentionally excluded these JPEGs to solve this problem.

I cannot find definitively that this is the case. But I like the logic and I'm satisfied for now.

Addendum 4/20: Changing Win7 Folder Options to unhide operating system files  allows the Album Art JPEGs to be viewed!
    • Marked as answer by jamesf3 Monday, April 18, 2011 10:39 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 10:39 AM