Help! cannot connect to WHS using "name.homeserver.com" I but can using the IP address? from outside LAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an issue connecting to my homeserver (located at home) if I use the correct address (i.e. name.homeserver.com) and I guess I am missing something no doubt obvious, but don't know how to resolve my issue. 

I have a static IP at home and if I aim a browser (from outside the home LAN- say at work) and enter the homeserver address, I get nothing, however if I type the static IP address of home IP into the browser (i.e XX.XX.XXX.XX) I get to the server just fine?

I guess the ADSL router is set up just fine, because I can access via IP address and using this method allows me full access to server; remote access etc.

What am I missing? What do I need to do to allow the name.homeserver.com to work?

Many thanks for any advice, greatly appreciated.

Iwatchlive
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

I have an issue connecting to my homeserver (located at home) if I use the correct address (i.e. name.homeserver.com) and I guess I am missing something no doubt obvious, but don't know how to resolve my issue. 

I have a static IP at home and if I aim a browser (from outside the home LAN- say at work) and enter the homeserver address, I get nothing, however if I type the static IP address of home IP into the browser (i.e XX.XX.XXX.XX) I get to the server just fine?

I guess the ADSL router is set up just fine, because I can access via IP address and using this method allows me full access to server; remote access etc.

What am I missing? What do I need to do to allow the name.homeserver.com to work?

Iwatchlive

It sounds to me like whichever DNS server you're using for name resolution isn't updating.  Having said that, has it ever worked?  If so, did you change anything recently?  Have you tried from multiple external locations (i.e. Starbucks)?
    • Marked as answer by iwatchlive Monday, July 20, 2009 7:06 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for your input Kariya21

Sorry- I should have explained that this was a brand new Home server install on a new HP EX485 box; with a new homeserver domian reg etc. I have done a fair amount of domain reg's before, but these have always been on a hosted server and never local on site and I had completely forgotten (Doh!) the old 72 hrs or so that it generally takes DNS to update with a new registration and point everything in the right direction. Oops! It's all working fine now (-;

Having said that, I am sure a fair percentage of the target audience of WHS users would not be aware that DNS takes a few days to update as they probably have never registered a domain or been introduced to DNS before, so it would be advantageous for Micrsoft to create a pop up at the domain reg stage of WHS, informing the user that it takes DNS a while (i.e 72 hrs ish) whilst the new domain is registered for it to be accessible out on the WWW as a named address (rather than an IP number).

Thanks

IwatchLive

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi all,

Iwatchlive

It sounds to me like whichever DNS server you're using for name resolution isn't updating.  Having said that, has it ever worked?  If so, did you change anything recently?  Have you tried from multiple external locations (i.e. Starbucks)?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for your input Kariya21

Sorry- I should have explained that this was a brand new Home server install on a new HP EX485 box; with a new homeserver domian reg etc. I have done a fair amount of domain reg's before, but these have always been on a hosted server and never local on site and I had completely forgotten (Doh!) the old 72 hrs or so that it generally takes DNS to update with a new registration and point everything in the right direction. Oops! It's all working fine now (-;

Having said that, I am sure a fair percentage of the target audience of WHS users would not be aware that DNS takes a few days to update as they probably have never registered a domain or been introduced to DNS before, so it would be advantageous for Micrsoft to create a pop up at the domain reg stage of WHS, informing the user that it takes DNS a while (i.e 72 hrs ish) whilst the new domain is registered for it to be accessible out on the WWW as a named address (rather than an IP number).

Thanks

IwatchLive

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I should add: some corporate DNS setups (most recent two enviornments I've worked in to name two) also will not allow resolution of names in DDNS environments. I don't know exactly what they look like when resolving them that is cause for them to be rejected. I understand this is some kind of security paranoia. So I just go to one of the DNS resolver sites on the web and look up the IP myself.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:08 PM