Recording Distributions RRS feed

• Question

• How do you handle a distribution in a mutual fund? There must be a way. If you just add the shares, the chart is not accurate.
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:44 PM

All replies

• Use Reinvest dividends (or Reinvest ST Capital Gains or Reinvest LT capital gains) qnd enter the quantity of shares added and the dollar amount of the distribution.  Or don't I understand what you are asking?

• Edited by bobjbkln Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:12 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Might be saying this wrong, but here goes,

when a mutual has a distribution (usually once a yr) in a 401K tax deferred account the stock goes down the distribution amount and shares are added to make it the same value.

I can manually add shares, but looking at the chart, it shows that big overnight drop when in reality there was none

Friday, November 29, 2013 12:20 AM
  • What bobjbkln suggested should handle the situation nicely. Since it is in a 401K you could just use Reinvest dividends, even if part of the distribution was actually CG. Reinvest dividends is the same as a Dividend, followed by a Buy of shares for the same amount. Regarding tracking your account and fund performances, I suggest paying less attention to the price graphs, and instead use the Portfolio (InvestingTools->Portfolio, or better yet, add the Portfolio button at the top by clicking Shortcuts. In the Portfolio, I would click ChangePortfolioView->CustomizeCurrentView->PortfolioColumns Select each of the seven TotalReturn items, and click Add. Also select TotalAnnualizedReturn. These will give a much better view of how each of your investments have been performing. You can reorder them by selecting one in the DisplayedColumns and choosing MoveUp or MoveDown. You may want to select CostBasis on the right, and click Remove. That column is very meaningful for non-deferred accounts, but you may or may not care about that column for a 401K. When done, you can do SaveAs. Money will ask for a name for that view. Then you will be able to select that view with SelectView in the upper-left of the portfolio. Alternatively, click Save, and the view that was in effect when you clicked CustomizeCurrentView will be modified. You can also reorder and resize columns by dragging the column headings while viewing a portfolio.
    Friday, November 29, 2013 3:17 AM