CRM 2013 Server-Side Sync and Outlook, how do I Set Regarding from Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• A thought just occurred to me while testing the new Exchange Sync feature that comes with CRM 2013 - how do I now Set Regarding of a record I build from Outlook?  Without the add-in present, there's no connection to CRM for me to pull down any data that may be needed if working within Outlook.  Is it assumed that the add-on will be present, but not used for the synchronization of activities?
    Friday, May 2, 2014 2:17 PM

All replies

• I believe that you are correct; the outlook client must be installed for tracking items manually from within outlook. All synchronization done without the client is handled by the server side rules and filters.
    Friday, May 2, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Server-Side Sync can be considered as an Email Router replacement with additional synchronization functionality. You would still need Outlook to track activities against CRM records.

Ronald

• Edited by Ronald Liu Friday, May 2, 2014 4:28 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Okay, with all that said I have another question that I can't test until Monday (the guy who controls our certs is out today).

Would I be able to configure a user to sync all of their items through Server-Side Sync, but still have the Outlook client available to make the connection to CRM?  I would disable all object syncing through the Outlook add-in, meaning it is there simply for people to have the ribbon it comes with.

Friday, May 2, 2014 7:14 PM
  • All you need to do is:

1. change Synchronization Method for Appointments, Contacts, and Tasks to Server-Side Synchronization as default
    2. make sure all mailboxes use Server-Side Synchronization as Synchronization Method for Appointments, Contacts, and Tasks 

To set the default delivery methods for multiple mailboxes, in the list of mailboxes, select the mailboxes, and then click or tap the More Commands (…) > Apply Default Email Settings. When #2 is done, the Synchronize with CRM button in Outlook CRM will no longer be available. BTW, as per MSFT's recommendation:

We recommend that you don’t use a mixed configuration of Outlook synchronization and server-side synchronization for appointments, contacts, and tasks in the same organization, because it may result in updated CRM data not synchronizing to all attendees.

Ronald

• Edited by Ronald Liu Friday, May 2, 2014 9:29 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 9:28 PM