Is WHS capable of hosting a Domain/AD? RRS feed

• Question

• hi there all im considering build a Server for my home and i was wondering whether WHS is capable of Hosting a Domain (inc DNS) for my network. if it doesnt i will just go and get a Legit copyof MS WS 2003, as it will just be a fancy NAS. I imagine if it does it will use AD, becasue isnt WHS (**asssumption**) a regenerated version of Windows Server 2003 with a fancy GUI? many thanks
    Friday, April 11, 2008 1:00 PM

Answers

•  dobby156 wrote:
    hi there all im considering build a Server for my home and i was wondering whether WHS is capable of Hosting a Domain (inc DNS) for my network. if it doesnt i will just go and get a Legit copyof MS WS 2003, as it will just be a fancy NAS. I imagine if it does it will use AD, becasue isnt WHS (**asssumption**) a regenerated version of Windows Server 2003 with a fancy GUI? many thanks

WHS will not participate in a domain.  If it discovers that you've joined a domain, it will cease operation.  It will work for a while and then eventually shut down.

WHS is not Windows Small Business Server 2003.  It doesn't have the same licensing and it doesn't have all of the same code.  It based on it, but that's as far as it goes.  An OEM copy of WHS runs about $150-180 at Newegg.  SBS 2003 is more than double that.  WHS is not a cheap way to get SBS.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  brubber wrote:
    Correct, however AFAIK you can promote WHS itself to a domain controller without a problem. You can install DNS and then run dcpromo.

As I recall, at least during beta, it will reboot/shut down after an hour (although I haven't tried it myself).

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:12 AM

All replies

• I't's certainly not supported, however it's possible to get all of this stuff up and running (at least for one of the beta versions)

If you search the web you should find a few links on this subject of people that have done this succesfully

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  dobby156 wrote:
    hi there all im considering build a Server for my home and i was wondering whether WHS is capable of Hosting a Domain (inc DNS) for my network. if it doesnt i will just go and get a Legit copyof MS WS 2003, as it will just be a fancy NAS. I imagine if it does it will use AD, becasue isnt WHS (**asssumption**) a regenerated version of Windows Server 2003 with a fancy GUI? many thanks

WHS will not participate in a domain.  If it discovers that you've joined a domain, it will cease operation.  It will work for a while and then eventually shut down.

WHS is not Windows Small Business Server 2003.  It doesn't have the same licensing and it doesn't have all of the same code.  It based on it, but that's as far as it goes.  An OEM copy of WHS runs about $150-180 at Newegg.  SBS 2003 is more than double that.  WHS is not a cheap way to get SBS.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  Ed Wilts wrote:

Correct, however AFAIK you can promote WHS itself to a domain controller without a problem. You can install DNS and then run dcpromo.

Ed Wilts wrote:

True, although you get nearly all it's functionality (which is by design). Personally I would prefer WHS over SBS in my home

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:06 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

As I recall, at least during beta, it will reboot/shut down after an hour (although I haven't tried it myself).

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Specifically called out in the Software License Terms you will find this:

· Active Directory - You may not use the server software as a domain controller or otherwise make use of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the server software to any Active Directory domain.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:56 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Specifically called out in the Software License Terms you will find this:

· Active Directory - You may not use the server software as a domain controller or otherwise make use of DCPromo.exe. You also may not join the server software to any Active Directory domain.

OK, that's pretty clear and acceptable I think, certainly when you take the price into account.

I can not find this however in the EULA of the 120 day Evaluation copy I'm currently running. Has this changed recently or am I looking in the wrong place?

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:58 PM