Is it possible to customize the views in the subgrid? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have 3 custom entities, take for example 'School', 'Class' and 'Students' related to each other by 1 : N relationship in order.

In the Subgrid of the 'School' (i.e. School Associated View), through custamization i am able to show the fields of the 'Class' entity. But the requriement is that I need to show some of the fields that are present in the 'Students' entity which is related to 'School' entity via 'Class' entity.

Is it possible to show the 2nd level related entitie's fields on the subgrid of that entity? Can we modify the layoutXml of the subgrid inorder accomplish this requriement?

Thanks in advance.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Sundar

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:19 AM

Answers

• I guess you have 1 school can have N classes.

If that is the case, were you really able to add a field of Class in the School view?

In the Subgrid of the 'School' (i.e. School Associated View), through custamization i am able to show the fields of the 'Class' entity

You can only include fields that have N:1 relationship, i.e there is a lookup of the entity on the School entity.

And to answer your query with regards to second level relations, no these cannot be added to the view.

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:01 AM

All replies

• I guess you have 1 school can have N classes.

If that is the case, were you really able to add a field of Class in the School view?

In the Subgrid of the 'School' (i.e. School Associated View), through custamization i am able to show the fields of the 'Class' entity

You can only include fields that have N:1 relationship, i.e there is a lookup of the entity on the School entity.

And to answer your query with regards to second level relations, no these cannot be added to the view.

HTH

Sam

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Yes Sam, you are right. And many thanks for the information. 

Is it not possible to show the first level related entite's fields in the subgrid of the lookup?

Thanks

Sundar

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:30 AM
  • No, since in the sub-grid, it displays one row per record, and as u say related entities would have more than one records against the lookup record, it cannot be included in the grid.

In short you cannot include columns of the N side of the relations in the grid designed for the 1 side of the entity.

HTH

Sam

• Proposed as answer by Sam - Inogic Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:50 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:50 AM