Appointments not syncing properly in crm 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a very strange issue. My CRM server and all my clients are patched to rollup 13, and everything has been working fine for months. Two weeks ago, one of my users told me there was a problem when CRM sent appointments to his Outlook calendar. After looking at one such appointment, here is what I found:

1. In Outlook 2003, I open the appointment, click the Scheduling Tab.

2. In the left hand pane I see the list of attendees, for example the Appointment owner, one contact, and one CRM user

3. In the right hand pane that shows the gant-style calendar, the line for the contact is all diagonal lines - this I would expect since the contact is not a user on our corporate Exchange server, and hence there is no calendar information available.

4. The Appointmenet Owner, and the other CRM user, however, ARE users on my Exchange server, and SHOULD have calendar information available - but they don't. I see the same diagonal lines.

5. If I click on their name in the left hand pane, erase the value that there, and retype the email address, all lowercase as it appears on the exchange server, and as it appears in the CRM user records, Outlook can correctly fetch the calendar information.

All that to say, when CRM sends appointments to Outlook, Outlook is not linking the appropriate attendees (Owner and crm users) to their exchange accounts. Lately, this problem has started to appear on other clients as well (offline and online-only). Has anyone seen this before?

Al

Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• So... more news

This issue has now spread to my Outlook client as well, with a slight difference. When I open the Appointment in Outlook, and click the scheduling tab, I see:

=SMTP:alex@company.com <alex@company.com>

Like I stated above, this is not linking to my exchange account, and not pulling my calendar info.

Upgrading my client to R15 (and rebooting) did not help.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Getting desperate here, I've checked almost all PCs, and this issue is affecting ALL of them. I just tried doing a fresh install on a new PC, no Windows updates, just XP_SP3, office 2003 SP3, CRM client with R7 and R15. Same problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Light at the end of the tunnel.

So apparently this is a bug that has been around since Rollup 12. According to MS, Rollup 15 addresses this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2447256

Great. Downloaded the patch, ran it, and... it won't install.

Action Microsoct.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction.Failed

Insert Error: Colun name or number of supplied values does not match the table definition.

now what?

Monday, February 7, 2011 9:08 PM
  • This error seems to be a permission issue. Please refer to this article https://community.dynamics.com/product/crm/crmtechnical/b/pabloperalta/archive/2010/08/05/microsoft-crm-setup-common-update-dbupdateaction-failed.aspx
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jackie Chen Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Jackie,

Thanks for your answer. I don't believe this is a permission issue, as we have successfully patched the server before, up to and including R14.

The user logged into the server is listed as an administrator in the CRM Deployment Manager. The account also has the db_owner role in SQL for both the CRM DB and the MSCRM_CONFIG DB, and is a local administrator on the server. It is the same account that installed CRM and SQL.

The article you pointed me to refers to "sql administrator privilege," but I don't know what this is; there is no such role in SQL, or Active Directory. I assume it's equivalent to db_owner, which the account has.

Can you think of anything else that might cause this issue?

Al

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi Alex,

To grant "sql administrator privilege" for the install user, please do the following steps:

1. Log into Sql server, go to Security\Logins.

2. Find the install user, right click and choose Properties.

3. Click Server Roles, and enable the check box for sysadmin, then click OK.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jackie Chen Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Jackie,

It was a good try, but I still have the same error. I'm open to any more suggestions you have...

Alex

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi Alex,

According to the KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2447256, this issue is fixed in UR 14. If you haven't UR 14, please apply UR 14 first and check whether the issue is gone. If not then apply UR 15 again. Thanks.

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Before installing UR 15, remember to reboot the CRM server. Please re-download UR 15 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a43147c9-e87e-41b3-bf46-ac1244a0475c&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, February 11, 2011 4:40 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Jackie

I have successfully applied R14 and rebooted. When I try R15, I still get the same error.

Other thoughts?

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Hi everyone, Still no solution found. I would very much appreciate any ideas, even if they are guesses. Thanks.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:53 PM