How do I get data from Pocket PC database to SQL Server 2008 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I'm slowly starting to understand the sync framework.

I have a SQL Server 2008 Database setup and running.  I've run through some of the sample apps and can get the sync services running on my local machine acting as the client and the server and I can get bidirectional sync working.

I can create my SQL Server Compact 3.5 database on my development machine and deploy it to the mobile device.

My question is do I have to copy the .sdf file from my pocket pc to a laptop (or desktop)  to get the databases to sync? The reason I ask is that when I try to configure the data synchronization in my project, and point the client data base to my mobile device, it comes back with an error saying that the path is not valid, and I cannot complete the sync setup.  I can't figure out how to keep the .sdf file on the mobile device and sync it with the server. I have five pocket pcs that I need to sync with the server in my app.

What am I missing?
    Thanks
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:31 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hello -

1. You should not need to copy .sdf file from your pocket PC to a laptop for sync.  Sync should be able happen between your pocket PC / smart device to SQL server.
    2. What is your desired business scenario here - sync pocket PC with SQL server via WCF, or web service or any other means? 

Here is one link for sample of "Walkthrough: Creating an Occasionally Connected Smart Device Application", http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc488004.aspx.

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:16 PM
    Answerer