Try Windows Server 2012 Essentials Release Candidate now! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, All,

As we recently announced on theWindows Server 2012 Essentials blog, the Release Candidate for Windows server 2012 Essentials is now available for download.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been designed as the ideal first server for Small Business and Home Offices. Although there will not be a next version of Windows Home Server (WHS), Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in WHS, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

WHS customers are encouraged to evaluate our new server offering – you will find most of your favorite WHS features, including support for add-ins, are there, See the Home Server Blog for major improvements over WHS 2011.

Thank You!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:24 AM

All replies

• Thank you Ning Kuang, but I have no intentions of paying $425 to replace something that costs much less and works perfectly fine.  Plus the added complex process of removing a drive from the storage pool (see feedback item 759352) that is so much easier with WHS v1 makes a migration to Windows Server 2012 Essentials a no brainer thumbs down. 

I wish you would quit using your "smoke and mirrors" suggestion of this being a suitable replacement for WHS, it is not at the price point it will be offered.

The only real benefit I see with Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the ability to use drives greater than 2TB's.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials is a great next step form the SOHO user, but for a Home User, it is not.  Stop promoting it as such.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi, All,

As we recently announced on theWindows Server 2012 Essentials blog, the Release Candidate for Windows server 2012 Essentials is now available for download.

Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been designed as the ideal first server for Small Business and Home Offices. Although there will not be a next version of Windows Home Server (WHS), Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in WHS, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

WHS customers are encouraged to evaluate our new server offering �?? you will find most of your favorite WHS features, including support for add-ins, are there, See the Home Server Blog for major improvements over WHS 2011.

Thank You!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows Server Program Manager

BullDawg
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Well I'm giving it a try.  WHS2011 didn't fit my hardware or usage,
    and I'm not sure this'll fit my usage either, but it does have some
    excellent points.  Storage pools is a biggy.

However one of my PC's wont setup the client software correctly and no
    error message or event log entry, so it's a bit hard to debug!

Backups are pretty good speed...

The UI is too hard for a home server though.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:44 AM