OCS Front-End server failing to start RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've gone through many changes in the last few days trying to get this up and running properly.  I eventually ended up scrapping my first machine since it was originally a enterprise server, then switched to standard.. didn't know what may have been lurking in AD pointing to my first server so I just removed everything and started new.

At the point im at now, I had everything almost working..  in validating..  none of the services started..   I confuse this issue with being OCS, but we actually had some other AD issues going on that I since took care of. 

My issue that I have now is the front-end wont start... it's coming back with an error of "Windows could not start the Office Communications Server Front-End on Local Computer.  For more information, review the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refere to service-specific error code -2147467259"

The only problem is I'm not quite sure what could be causing this.  I have a few .NET runtime errors within my app event log..   a few errors under system(about the identity of application pool LSGroupExpAppPool is invalid..  and an error about attempting to access the SSL server credential private key (which doesn't really make sense because the whole cert/import process worked fine from my MS CA authority..)

Under the OCS event log I have a bunch of errors from the OCS MCU infrastructure that complain about failing to send health notifications to the MCU factory at https://amer-comm2.ionaglobal.com:444/Liveserver/MCUFactory/

The processes these errors complain about are DataMCUSvc, AVMCUSvc, IMMcuSvc, AcpMcuSvc.

I first suspected maybe database issues, but I ran poolcfgdbsetup.wsf and got all successful responses from it.. so I think my DB is healthy.

I have the front-end server starting as RTCService which is a member of RTC Local Administrators, RTCUniversalServerAdmins and Domain Admins.  I also made sure all the OCS accounts had full local admin rights on the box.. so I'm kind of lost as to what could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

Have you run the Validation tool in OCS? If so did it show any error(s)?

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:10 PM
  • When starting the services the deployment log states.. successes on all services except RTCSRV (front end server)..  service status: error and execution result is "Failure, 0xC3EC79E6] Service failed to start as requested..

under the validation.. I get the following for the a/v conferencing, web conferencing and web components validation..

a bunch of failures, but they all point to https://amer-comm2.ionaglobal.com/group/expansion/int/service.asmx (or similar urls..) complaining that the service is unavailable. 

URL: https://amer-comm2.IONAGLOBAL.COM/GroupExpansion/Int/service.asmx
    Received a failure HTTP response.: HTTP Response: 503 Service Unavailable
    Connection:close
    Content-Length:28
    Content-Type:text/html
    Date:Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:17:14 GMT

Service Unavailable

Received a failure HTTP response.: ServiceUnavailable
    Suggested Resolution: Check whether the Web Server or Office Communications Server component is running and also listening on the specified url. If server is behind a load balancer, please make sure the loopback connection is allowed from load balancer FQDN.
    Suggested Resolution: Check the Web Proxy setting in this machine and ensure that it is correctly configured

Then for front-end I can't even validate it because the service isn't started.

I'm not sure what got messed up, but it's obvious something severe is screwy and it seems to point to IIS..  under the system event log I have errors for w3svc.. complaining that the LSGroupExpAppPool is invalid so the WWW service can't create processes to serve so it'll be disabled..  this will explain the above errors..  I wonder if that's also why my front end server wont start.

The next question is why is this app pool invalid now?  I'm not sure if there is a way to repair it?

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Check that the account RTCComponentService has a password that does not expire

If that has been set correctly, maybe you have changed the Service account password and need to type the password also in IIS Application Pool for OCS (Identity tab)

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:56 PM
  •  

This may be an issue with the account RTCComponentService that is created by OCS setup.  If the password on the app pool is not correct you would see symptoms like the ones you describe.  Be sure that you know the correct password for that account and set it to match in IIS Manager - expand the Application Pools node, right click LSGroupExpAppPool and click Properties.  Click Identity tab and type the correct password there.  Click OK and then right click on LSGroupExpAppPool again and click recycle.  Start all stopped OCS services or just reboot the server.

Let us know how it goes.  Thanks!

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:58 PM
  •  

Well,

I'm signed into my IM server now for production... so at leas that's something!  Looks like all my services have started and I have some functionality... but all isn't well yet.

Here's what I got left..

Validation failures on the Web Components server functionality, and failures on the Front End server.. the other two components validated fine.

On the Web Components.. I have the following

URL: https://amer-comm2.IONAGLOBAL.COM/GroupExpansion/Int/service.asmx
    Received a failure HTTP response.: HTTP Response: 503 Service Unavailable
    Connection:close
    Content-Length:28
    Content-Type:text/html
    Date:Tue, 24 Jun 2008 02:55:47 GMT

Service Unavailable

Received a failure HTTP response.: ServiceUnavailable
    Suggested Resolution: Check whether the Web Server or Office Communications Server component is running and also listening on the specified url. If server is behind a load balancer, please make sure the loopback connection is allowed from load balancer FQDN.
    Suggested Resolution: Check the Web Proxy setting in this machine and ensure that it is correctly configured

and another similar error for url  https://amer-comm2.ionaglobal.com/abs/int/handler/F-0aab.dabs

other than that everything else on web components works(including other urls).

On the front end validation I have a few more errors..but all seems to work..

I have a warning that Ntlm authentication protocol isn't enabled, but I assume that's an AD configuration setting so I'm not going to worry about it just yet..

I also had a few authentication errors, but I believe those were due to a changed password and replication not happening yet because those have gone.  I also have a few more but they are complaing about global settings not being the same.

However..  what isn't working, is presence, and contacts..  When I look at myself in outlook, I have a grey circle, even though I'm signed into communicator.  I configured my account(dmurphy) within AD Users and computers for office communicator, and even enabled enhanced presence but it doesn't look like that does it. 

Also, I have an exchange error and contact error within my OCS client.

"Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book.  This may be beacuse the proxy server setting in your web browser does not allow access to the address book.  If the problem persists, contact your sysadmin."

second..

"Communicator could not retrieve calendar or Out of Office information from Exchange Web Services.  Communicator will automatically continue to retry.  If this problem persists, contact your sysadmin"

The second error seems to maybe point to outlook web access not being enabled on the exchange server(I was just moved over to our test exchange 2007 server and I don't think we have OWA up on it yet..) so maybe that's an explanation. 

Any thoughts as to what may be causing these errors and not allowing connectivity into exchange to allow my presence to be known throughout other apps and how I can get the GAL downloaded?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:30 AM
  • Disable your proxy server settings on the machine where you are running the validation

Make sure that all Web Services have started in IIS :

- LSConferencingAppPool

- LSGroupExpAppPool

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Well, you're right.  My LSGroupExpAppPool was stopped so I restarted that and the web conf validation succeeded.  I don't have the LCConferencingAppPool but maybe that's a EE feature.

My challenges now are getting lookups against the GAL working and presence is working on some clients but not others(mine isn't working)..

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:43 PM
  •  

You may need to regenerate your address book and force the client to pull it down again.  See this post for abserver instructions:

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3382481&SiteID=57

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:04 PM