KB898461 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey can NE1 Help Me!!!!!!

My pc needs to update this.... KB898461,

but it just wont update on the system, it downloads ok but then gets cancelled, for no apparent reason, will i believe the computer cancels it or maybe a worm / virus / trojan horse. Which i have found to have and still trying to get rid off.

it states that this upgrade is now mandatory, but if i cant get it, does it mean i wont get other updates.

Please help im so neebie at this lol

Gav

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Carey,

I click on the link you provided, however I got a CANCELLED message at the end of the install process (after I said "I Agree" to the licensing).

Is there another way to install this update??

Thanks

Sonny

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:29 PM
  •  Cajun Steeler wrote:

Carey,

I click on the link you provided, however I got a CANCELLED message at the end of the install process (after I said "I Agree" to the licensing).

Is there another way to install this update??

Thanks

Sonny

Microsoft offers free support for those having difficulty with Windows Updates.  It would be best to contact them for further troubleeshooting advice: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:15 PM
  • Please try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916246/en-us 

It is very helpfull.

First of all, download and save the file "WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe" on your pc. Then accomplish the rename process advised in the above linked article. After that, resart your pc.

Finally, execute "WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe" file that you saved on your pc before to setup the update.  

At last, this mandotory headache update is supposed to be successfully installed.

• Proposed as answer by Ash River Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:42 PM
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 11:34 AM
  • Any know what I need to do if this Update messes up your computer?

I install the update and 2 mins after the update happens it freezes my computer...

The only reason why i'm on it right now is because I went through safe mode and restored to an earlier point!

I'm cool with NOT having this update installed but how can I get it to stop reminding me about this one?

I don't want to turn off automatic updates because I would like to keep downloading the other new updates just not this one!

I hope this isn't a way of Microsoft trying to make me get Vista.....

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:13 PM
  • attempted to rename, but it's currently in use???

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:11 AM
  •  Yep, this is the best advice here (why oh why can't those numpties at Microsoft ever give decent, concise and accurate advice?! The update file download, then spupdsvc_old.exe re-naming trick in \windows\system32\, then manually installing the previously downloaded update file...did the trick! Thanks!
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:42 PM
  •  "Yep, this is the best advice here..." was from "akineton2006" above!
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:43 PM