Replacing System drive - Should I do an image copy or Server Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I am replacing my main system drive, a 1TB WD10EADS with a WD10EARS which has a larger 64 MB cache size. (I will use the 32MB cache HD to expand the storage pool).

Question is can I get away with doing a simple image copy from the old drive to new drive or will I have to do a Server Reinstall?

The are the same drives except for the difference in cache.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You don't have to do a fresh install - you can choose the option to use "Server Recovery" rather than "New Installation".  You should see the following FAQ:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsfaq/thread/cdb387f1-9baa-4ae3-a74b-ff351dc1c0bf

By the way you will not see any performance increase in swapping discs. 

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by joewalch Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:50 PM
  • I use the server to do lengthy task such as media conversion overnight. Will the increase cache size not speed that up?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:08 PM
  • No.  Without knowing the spec of your system and what kind of conversion you are doing the most likely limiting factor is the CPU.  Also if the drive was the limiting factor and you wanted to get more performance then I would not recommend green drives which typically spin slower than other hard disks.

If cache size was such a disk performance enhancer with Winchester Disks then 1GB+ cache sizes would have been available for years. 
    --
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I thought the cache was supposed to improve the availability and speed of pre fetch data therefore reducing seek time? 
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:21 PM
  • NB apparently the Greens have the same seek time as the Blues.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:27 PM
  • But not the same sustained data transfer rate.  Like I said before the most likely bottleneck in transcoding is your servers CPU.

Cache doesn't reduce seek time, it reduces disk access. i.e. if the file it needs is already in cache it doesn't need to access it from the drive.  However with transcoding your media file won't fit in the cache so you will be constantly reading data from your drive - so the important stat here is sustained data transfer rate or DTR.
    --
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:02 PM