I tried to use the activation code I had but the disk I used to reinstall Vista was evidently for this computer RRS feed

• Question

• I need to reactivate my Vista system but the disk I have is evidently not for this computer and is the only one I have.  My system crashed and I had to reformat my drive and reinstall Vista.  I just got a notice that I have a few days to activate the program and the activation code does not work.  It ask for the product code and I have no idea where to find it as I don't have the original box and did not get a disk with the computer.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• "Cleaner1234" wrote in message news:28e2a20f-180a-46e0-96e2-ad4901e504f9...
    I need to reactivate my Vista system but the disk I have is evidently not for this computer and is the only one I have.  My system crashed and I had to reformat my drive and reinstall Vista.  I just got a notice that I have a few days to activate the program and the activation code does not work.  It ask for the product code and I have no idea where to find it as I don't have the original box and did not get a disk with the computer.

What does the COA sticker say about the Windows version and edition that the computer is licensed for?
    What does the disk you used to install say?

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 24, 2011 10:12 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:04 PM

All replies

• "Cleaner1234" wrote in message news:28e2a20f-180a-46e0-96e2-ad4901e504f9...
    I need to reactivate my Vista system but the disk I have is evidently not for this computer and is the only one I have.  My system crashed and I had to reformat my drive and reinstall Vista.  I just got a notice that I have a few days to activate the program and the activation code does not work.  It ask for the product code and I have no idea where to find it as I don't have the original box and did not get a disk with the computer.

What does the COA sticker say about the Windows version and edition that the computer is licensed for?
    What does the disk you used to install say?

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 24, 2011 10:12 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:04 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, January 24, 2011 10:12 PM