Drive removal --- going on 84 hours... RRS feed

• Question

• Im trying to remove a 500 GB Sata drive from my pool I have just over 500gb free when I started the process,
    Its been running since Wendsday at 8am est and the bar looks to be just over 50%.

Is there any way for me to stop this and speed the removal process?  I have 2 1TB drive I was planning to install
    after this drive was removed.  Will i loose alot of data if I force a reboot on the server so I can install one of the larger drives?

Thanks!
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    if WHS has to squeeze data on just remaining free space, if the CPU is weak and the amount of RAM is only at minimum of 512 MB and enabled duplication does not know, where to duplicate to, the removal task can take long (never heared that this is that long ...) or freeze up, I would imagine.
    You should have attached (if physically possible) one of the new drives first, integrate it to the storage pool and after that remove the old disk.
    If you perform a controlled shutdown of the server via console, I assume, your disk will still remain in the pool and no data will go lost.

Worst case: Should this not be the case (old disk no longer in pool, but still not all data transferred somehow, since bugs sometimes happen) the data from shared folders would still be in the hidden folder DE\shares. From here you could copy the files to the Shared folders on server again via Windows Explorer after enabling the Show hidden files and folders option. Backups may be another thing in this situation, if those are affected, you may have to delete (or repair) and recreate them.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:28 PM
  • You shouldn't lose any data from forcing a reboot. However, 84 hours is excessively long for a disk removal. Were you having problems with the disk which caused you to decide to replace it?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ebein Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:28 AM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    if WHS has to squeeze data on just remaining free space, if the CPU is weak and the amount of RAM is only at minimum of 512 MB and enabled duplication does not know, where to duplicate to, the removal task can take long (never heared that this is that long ...) or freeze up, I would imagine.
    You should have attached (if physically possible) one of the new drives first, integrate it to the storage pool and after that remove the old disk.
    If you perform a controlled shutdown of the server via console, I assume, your disk will still remain in the pool and no data will go lost.

Worst case: Should this not be the case (old disk no longer in pool, but still not all data transferred somehow, since bugs sometimes happen) the data from shared folders would still be in the hidden folder DE\shares. From here you could copy the files to the Shared folders on server again via Windows Explorer after enabling the Show hidden files and folders option. Backups may be another thing in this situation, if those are affected, you may have to delete (or repair) and recreate them.

Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:28 PM
  • You shouldn't lose any data from forcing a reboot. However, 84 hours is excessively long for a disk removal. Were you having problems with the disk which caused you to decide to replace it?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ebein Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:28 AM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I wasnt having any trouble with the drive, was just running low on space and wanted to upgrade the drive.

Attempting a START-Reboot now, will post results.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:32 PM
  • START-Reboot did nothing, waited about 10 minutes...guess I'll go for the hard reboot
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Hard reboot, droped me into CHKDSK on reboot, waiting for it to finish.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Sorting Tons of Index Errors in CHKDSK... once its done and if everything looks ok, ill, shut down again, and add one of the TB drives.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:04 PM
  • You should have rebooted from the console from within the Settings area (and not from the Start menu), since this is the only way to be sure, that the WHS components are reacting properly to the shutdown request.
    But now it's too late anyway.

Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Couldnt have rebooted from the console, I broke the IIS server ;). 

Seemed to recover from the forced reboot ok.  adding TB drive
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:00 AM