CRM Update Rollup Process RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I hope this hasn't been covered before - I apologise if it has (but I find the search function in these forums almost useless - I can't believe the results returned are the only discussions on the topic I search, but I've got no other way to confirm without clicking through hundreds of forum pages). If there's a good trick to it I'd love to hear it. Anyway, onto my issue...

I currently have a client that is still on CRM 4.0 RTM (i.e. no updates). Recently they came across an issue significant enough that warrants them updating to the latest version (in case we need to escalate to MS Support). As I've not applied a great deal of Update Rollups, and given that there's 9 possible updates I was hoping I could outline the process i'm planning to go through to ensure I'm not going to stuff this up.

1. Obivously, backup the database. And then check the backup is good.

2. Ensure MSI 4.5 is installed on all server/clients. And any WinXP clients are on Service Pack 3.

3. Install the Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack.

4. I believe the first required Update Rollup is #7. So I apply that to the server (and clients).

5. At this stage I'm unsure if I now need to uninstall the Language Pack before I install Update Rollup #9. The TechNotes make it sound like I need to uninstall and reinstall this with each Update Rollup I apply from now on. To be cautious I will uninstall first, unless someone can confirm its not required.

6. Install the Update Rollup #9, again applied to both server and clients.

7. If required, reinstall the Language Pack.

8. Go through each of the hotfixes and updates that require manual configuration and enablement. At this stage I'm only doing this for hotfixes or updates that appear to be relevant to this implementation. I don't need to do this for all do I?

9. I'll also take the opportunity to update the online Help documentation as well.

10. Restart server/clients if required.

11. Clear any local Temporary Web Files.

I don't believe i have to install #1-6 as they are included in #7. Same goes for #8 being included in #9. I also believe that I could skip the #7 install for the server and just jump straight to #9, but I think for my comfort i'd like to mirror the same process on the server and client (because #7 is a pre-requisite for the client).

Have I missed anything obvious or 'traps'? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:25 AM

Answers

• It seems like you might be making this a bit more cumbersome than needed but I could be wrong so follow your instinct.  If it were me, this is what I would try as a test:

You don't need to install MSI 4.5 unless you don't have an Internet connection on the machine.

You don't need the Language Pack unless you plan to install the MUI version of the update.

Yes, install UR 7 first and then UR 9.

"Go through each of the hotfixes and updates that require manual configuration and enablement" - You should only need to do this as required for the deployment.  I haven't found the need to do a lot of manual updates after installing a UR

You will want to reboot your systems after each update (7 & 9) to ensure things are working as expected.

You do not need to install 1 - 6 or 8 as UR 7 & 9 are cumulative.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:49 PM

All replies

• It seems like you might be making this a bit more cumbersome than needed but I could be wrong so follow your instinct.  If it were me, this is what I would try as a test:

You don't need to install MSI 4.5 unless you don't have an Internet connection on the machine.

You don't need the Language Pack unless you plan to install the MUI version of the update.

Yes, install UR 7 first and then UR 9.

"Go through each of the hotfixes and updates that require manual configuration and enablement" - You should only need to do this as required for the deployment.  I haven't found the need to do a lot of manual updates after installing a UR

You will want to reboot your systems after each update (7 & 9) to ensure things are working as expected.

You do not need to install 1 - 6 or 8 as UR 7 & 9 are cumulative.

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Sounds good to me. Thanks Donna.

p.s. Sorry for the late reply, it was a long weekend.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:44 AM
  • You're welcome, let us know how it goes.  Take care
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:45 AM