Add 4th computer to One Care RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to add a 4th and 5th computer to my current One Care Circle.  I understand that I need another subscription but do I use the same email address for the new subscription and how do I set those compuers up in the same circle or will the new OneCare subscription automatically find the other computers on the network.  I have a common printer and want to be able to access it from all 5 computers.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

• You will need a second subscription for the 4th and 5th PC. The second subscription will need to be created with a different LiveID (email address) as a LiveID can only have one active subscription associated with it.

That means that the 4th a 5th computers will *not* be part of the original Circle.

However, you can still share a printer, just not using the Printer Sharing feature of OneCare. As long as they are on the same network and the network connection on all of the computers is configured as "Home or Work," file and printer sharing is enabled. If the network is wired and wireless, you may need to go to the Ports and protocols tab of the Advanced firewall setting and place a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing for Internet and local subnet.

On the computer that the printer is attached to, right click the printer properties (Control Panel/Printers) and select Sharing to manually share the printer. Then, on the other PCs not part of your circle, go to Control Panel/Printers and add a network printer. The shared printer should appear as available for you to select and configure.

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• You will need a second subscription for the 4th and 5th PC. The second subscription will need to be created with a different LiveID (email address) as a LiveID can only have one active subscription associated with it.

That means that the 4th a 5th computers will *not* be part of the original Circle.

However, you can still share a printer, just not using the Printer Sharing feature of OneCare. As long as they are on the same network and the network connection on all of the computers is configured as "Home or Work," file and printer sharing is enabled. If the network is wired and wireless, you may need to go to the Ports and protocols tab of the Advanced firewall setting and place a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing for Internet and local subnet.

On the computer that the printer is attached to, right click the printer properties (Control Panel/Printers) and select Sharing to manually share the printer. Then, on the other PCs not part of your circle, go to Control Panel/Printers and add a network printer. The shared printer should appear as available for you to select and configure.

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:42 PM
  • So if I have 2 notebooks (and only use one at any one time) + 2 PC at home ;

then bring either one of the notebooks to work + 3 PCs ...how may subscription and live IDs do I need?

Regards

liu00

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:30 PM
  • you would need three subscriptions and 3 different Live Id's!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:16 PM
  •  600 wrote:

So if I have 2 notebooks (and only use one at any one time) + 2 PC at home ;

then bring either one of the notebooks to work + 3 PCs ...how may subscription and live IDs do I need?

Regards

liu00

If you want to have OneCare on a total of 7 PCs, that would be 3 subscriptions. The fact that the two notebooks are not always in use doesn't matter, since OneCare will be installed and active on both.

-steve

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:25 PM