Remote Web Access failes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just switched from Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard to the WHS SDK Preview codename "Vail". And I have to say I am impressed. This makes my life so much easier. I just can't wait until this gets launched.

But, and there is always a but, isn't there? The Remote Web Access is not working properly. I get the following error:

Server Error
     404 - File or directory not found.
     The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Just to be clear I can see the login screen from my work. I can enter the page and see the homepage for about 1-3 second (depending on loading time) before I get redirected to that error.

Also http, https and rdp is port forwarded to my server. No firewall enabled at this point.

Recap:
    I can access the login screen using (hostname.homeserver.com). Port forwarding is enabled. Remote Web Access is enabled. My user has full access for Remote Web Access. I can login and even see the homepage for a second or three before I get redirected to already mentioned error.

What I've tried:
    - Restart Remote Web Access
    - Restart Windows Home Server
    - Reconfigure Remote Web Access
    - Reconfigure "Set up domain"
    - Disable Remote Web Access privileges for my user
    - Enable Remote Web Access privileges for my user
    - Create another user (full access locally and Remote Web Access)

My thoughts:
    I really would like to get a "better" error. So I know what file or folder there is a problem with. I've added a couple of shared folders using dashboard besides the already included ones.

Thanks for any help. I have been wondering about doing a clean install but then I have to move all my files again and ... its alot ;) Any suggestion, help or even useful replies are appreciated.

• Edited by hinderaker Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:31 AM smiley
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:52 AM

Answers

• --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I last wrote on this forum I have done a fresh install of Vail. *Drum roll* It worked! Everything works perfectly now ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original problem:

When I access *.homeserver.com externally I get the Remote Web Access Login Page. Login works fine, and when loading the page I can see it (the design and the 3 tabs with computers, shared folders and media streaming) as it should be but as soon as it hits 53 of 53 items I get redirected to another site with the following error:

- File or directory not found.
    The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

When accessing locally this does not happen. Not sure if I used the local IP or *.homeserver.com so I will double check this after work tonight.  

And as far as the certificate error goes its when I access Remote Web Access locally and it loads fine, no errors and I can see the page, stream media and whatever not. But when I look at "Computers" and press "Connect" on my server I get the certificate error. I can post that error later on as well (when back home).

Home Server: Core2Duo 2.2ghz, 8GB DDR2 800mhz, 1 TB WD Green HDD running Vail
    Home Computer: Sick specs (A serious gaming rig) running Windows 7 Proffesional (64 bit) and Internet Explorer
    Job Computer: A normal buisness class laptop running Windows 7 Proffesional (32 bit) and Internet Explorer

Solution:

Re-install Vail. No changes is done to my router, home- or job computer. So that seemed to solve it. Maybe i messed something up the first time around?

Thanks for helping out guys ;)

- Glenn M. Hinderaker (Newb as in newbeginner?)
    • Marked as answer by hinderaker Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:40 AM

All replies

• Have you done anything to customize Vail from the server desktop?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Have you done anything to customize Vail from the server desktop?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Hi Ken,

FIrst of all thanks for trying to help. And no, I have not. I copied all my stuff over added me and girlfriend as users, connect our computers to the server. Opened for Remote Web Access. etc etc. All from "Dashboard".

I figured out that connecting and seeing the page (after login) works nice locally. However I cannot connect to the server nor my own computer through the site due to some sertificate problem. Any step-by-step solution for this? I use *.homeserver.com as domain.

But main problem still persist. I cannot see the page after login externally due to the earlier mentioned error. I get redirected to it after loading. I tested with Shields Up! and port 80 and 443 is running as OPENED but 4125 is running as STEALTHED. But is port forwarded the same way as 80 and 443 so I can't figure that one out. Is that what is causing my problem?

And again, thanks! Every reply is much appriciated.

- Glenn M. Hinderaker glenn@hinderaker.com
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:39 PM
  • My thoughts:
    I really would like to get a "better" error. So I know what file or folder there is a problem with. I've added a couple of shared folders using dashboard besides the already included ones.

Try starting te remote site directly form the VAIL Desktop at http://localhost (ignore the certificate error)
    This should get you some more detailed asp.net error message...

(btw: did you check the Windows Eventlist for related errors?)
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Hi Theo,

Thanks for your reply. Misunderstand me the right way ;)

Locally I can login, media streaming and see shared folders shows up on http://localhost and http://internal ip. BUT Using the "connect" function under "Computers" fails. For example using my personal computer to access the server through http://10.0l.0.1 (dummy ip) I login in. I can see Computers - Shared Folders - Media Library and HomePage Links. Under Computers I see "server" "Glenn" and "Linni". I try the connect button next to server. And RemoteApp starts but fails due to certificate error.

Recap: The site works locally, just not the remote desktop through the site. So I do not get the error after login here. Just the certificate error when trying to connect to other computers using the site.

And thanks for the tip with Windows Eventlist, I'll check that out :)

Friday, October 29, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Hi Glen,

Ah... still not sure if I misunderstand you right ;)
    Questions then:
    1. You can connect/login to the WHS site from your local network at home through "http:\\{myhostname}.homeserver.com"?
    2. You can connect/login to the WHS site from a remote location (e.g. from work) through "http:\\{myhostname}.homeserver.com"?
    3. When logged in you get a certificate error when trying to connect to one of your WHS client computers?

When connecting from the remote location (e.g. from work) what OS and browser version are you using?
    Please try to describe what happens / the exact error/message you are seeing?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, November 1, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Even localy you will have to use *.homeserver.com for the connect computers to work.

From afar....Latest firmware in your router?  Have you tried from a different PC and location from afar?  If it works localy I really ponder about your router.  For giggles if you have another brand to try?

4125/3389 is not used, just 80 and really only 443 if you type the "s".

Grey
    Monday, November 1, 2010 10:34 PM
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I last wrote on this forum I have done a fresh install of Vail. *Drum roll* It worked! Everything works perfectly now ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original problem:

When I access *.homeserver.com externally I get the Remote Web Access Login Page. Login works fine, and when loading the page I can see it (the design and the 3 tabs with computers, shared folders and media streaming) as it should be but as soon as it hits 53 of 53 items I get redirected to another site with the following error:

- File or directory not found.

When accessing locally this does not happen. Not sure if I used the local IP or *.homeserver.com so I will double check this after work tonight.  

And as far as the certificate error goes its when I access Remote Web Access locally and it loads fine, no errors and I can see the page, stream media and whatever not. But when I look at "Computers" and press "Connect" on my server I get the certificate error. I can post that error later on as well (when back home).

Home Server: Core2Duo 2.2ghz, 8GB DDR2 800mhz, 1 TB WD Green HDD running Vail
    Home Computer: Sick specs (A serious gaming rig) running Windows 7 Proffesional (64 bit) and Internet Explorer
    Job Computer: A normal buisness class laptop running Windows 7 Proffesional (32 bit) and Internet Explorer

Solution:

Re-install Vail. No changes is done to my router, home- or job computer. So that seemed to solve it. Maybe i messed something up the first time around?

Thanks for helping out guys ;)

• Marked as answer by hinderaker Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:40 AM