Running server apps (subversion, ftp, iis, dyndns, vpn, ssl) RRS feed

• Question

• I know you are trying to differentiate this as a 'server' rather than a home PC and it is a fantastic idea (and very much needed)...

I presume it'll run some flavour of windows, so I'd love to be able to put all my 'server related' apps on there :-

• Subversion
    • IIS (with support for FTP, SSL and ASP.NET)
    • DynDNS (maybe not required if I understand your plan for Live domains correctly)
    • VPN access (maybe not required if the remote access things your doing pan out well)
    • DHCP server
    • DNS server
    • Firewall router / broadband sharing

Also a FTP client and some kind of integration with backup where I could copy files/folders to a FTP location (as well as my USB drive / Tape device etc)

.. KJ

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:30 AM

All replies

• General rule of thumb:

If it runs on SBS 2003, it runs on WHS.

General follow up caution:

If it does something like play with ports or the file sharing system, it could effect the normal functions that WHS was designed for.

Can someone add this sort of question about server software to the FAQ and sticky it? :)

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:26 PM
  • I'm actually thinking about moving my dyndns app of one of my desktop machines and over to my WHS box. Since the whole Live domain system doesn't seem to be up and running it seems a natural thing to move this app to my box that is always definitely on and connected.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 11:07 PM