Technician Installed His Own Copy of Windows 7...Can't Enter Activation Code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

While I was living in Korea a year or so ago I took my computer in to have it repaired and the technician put his own version of Windows 7 on and turned off the automatic updates (I think we can all guess what this meant). I was annoyed, as I had my own windows 7 update from Vista included with the Dell computer I bought, but as it was working ok (and I'm not a computer guy) I didn't bother doing anything about it. Tonight I dug out my old Windows 7 upgrade disc and upgrade assistant disc to see if I could enter in the product key and get it registered, but it didn't work as I obviously need the key associated with whatever version he used.

So my question is - how do I go about reinstalling the old upgrade on my computer (or at least activating a product key) so I can go back to having the version that doesn't tell me it's not a registered product? I've put both discs in hoping they'd just magically run and fix everything up...but that would be far too simple a solution haha

Thanks in advance for your help.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 9:17 AM