none
How do I move everything from backed up stolen laptop onto exact same model? RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop was stolen, and I had downloaded many movies, configured Skype really nicely, etc?  I'd added other programs, ie Office Ultimate.  How can I download everything onto this new computer (restore it, I guess)?  I'm not too bad technologically, but the Server is a bit of a challenge, so go slow.  Thanks!
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 5:37 AM

Answers

• My laptop was stolen, and I had downloaded many movies, configured Skype really nicely, etc?  I'd added other programs, ie Office Ultimate.  How can I download everything onto this new computer (restore it, I guess)?  I'm not too bad technologically, but the Server is a bit of a challenge, so go slow.  Thanks!

Since it's the same model, you should be able to do a Bare Metal Restore from your server backups.  First, you should get the newest Restore CD.  Then boot your laptop from the CD.  NOTE:  Restoring from the server backup will completely wipe everything that is on the laptop now, so if you've added anything, you should copy it somewhere first.  At that point, it should automatically find your server.  Just type in the server password when asked and you should see all of your client backups.  Select the correct one and restore it to your laptop.  (Also, if your laptop is running the 64-bit version of Vista or 7, you will probably need to find the 32-bit version of your network driver in order for it to work.)
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:09 AM