AntiVirus & Defrag on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been reading through the posts but haven't seen a "definitive" answer on this topic:

1. Should some sort of Antivirus and Defrag software be run on a WHS?
    2. Does WHS have something "Built In" to periodically defragment the drives?
    I did see some posts on file corruption related to AV s/w?

And somewhat related (albeit a fairly general/vague question I'll admit): Are there any "recommended" and/or very useful Add-Ins for WHS that I should be looking at.  Perhaps something that adds "behind the curatin" functionality for those of us that like to tweak ;-)

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, February 20, 2009 5:57 PM software question, not dev-related (Moved from Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information to Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:10 PM

Answers

• (moved to software forum)

You haven't seen a "definitive" answer because it's a subjective question.

I feel that every computer on your home network needs some sort of malware protection. I run avast! everywhere. But I can't tell you what you should do, because your situation is certainly different in many respects from my own.

As for defragmenting, there is no tool built in to Windows Home Server for the task. I personally don't feel that real-world testing shows the performance improvements that the defrag utility vendors claim in promotional literature, but if you buy into their arguments, there are Diskeeper and Raxco PerfectDisk that both have WHS add-ins available, I think.

Other recommended add-ins? Nothing comes to mind. Look in the developers forum, or peruse the add-ins lists on We Got Served. When choosing add-ins to install, I feel that the last consideration should be how cool it is, with how powerful the tweaks an add-in allows being right there next to it on the bottom of the barrel. Choose only add-ins that do something that you absolutely can't live without, and choose only add-ins that don't perform operations better done on a desktop PC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Friday, February 20, 2009 6:43 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:56 PM
  • I have no strongly-held opinion on the relative merits of avast! and McAfee. I have avast! on my server because A) they were first to market, B) they have a package deal for avast! for WHS plus 10 seats of the desktop version, and C) they have an add-in which allows central management of virus protection on all home computers with the home version of avast!. (<rant>I wish vendors would quit putting punctuation at the end of their product names; "avast!." is correct in that sentence but looks unbearably wrong and awkward.</rant>)

If you have McAfee and use it, and you like it now, then by all means continue to use it.

You can, in theory, install the PowerChute software on your server. But Windows operating systems have had (for many years) support for a UPS built in. I have a UPS connected to my server, and that built-in support seems to work fine. Your mileage may vary on this; some users have had various problems with their server when it was connected to a UPS, with or without the manufacturer-supplied software installed.

Friday, February 20, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• (moved to software forum)

You haven't seen a "definitive" answer because it's a subjective question.

I feel that every computer on your home network needs some sort of malware protection. I run avast! everywhere. But I can't tell you what you should do, because your situation is certainly different in many respects from my own.

As for defragmenting, there is no tool built in to Windows Home Server for the task. I personally don't feel that real-world testing shows the performance improvements that the defrag utility vendors claim in promotional literature, but if you buy into their arguments, there are Diskeeper and Raxco PerfectDisk that both have WHS add-ins available, I think.

Other recommended add-ins? Nothing comes to mind. Look in the developers forum, or peruse the add-ins lists on We Got Served. When choosing add-ins to install, I feel that the last consideration should be how cool it is, with how powerful the tweaks an add-in allows being right there next to it on the bottom of the barrel. Choose only add-ins that do something that you absolutely can't live without, and choose only add-ins that don't perform operations better done on a desktop PC.

Friday, February 20, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

Understood on the subjective note ;-)

I just looked up avast!  I'm currently using McAfee...came preinstalled and the company I used to work for used it so stuck with it.  Any feedback on how it rates vs. McAfee?  I'll take avast! WHS verision for a test spin though.  My McAfee subsciption is paid up for several more months.

Another "software" question:  can I run the software that came with my APC on the WHS somehow?  I'd like to be able to do a controlled shutdown in the even of a power failure.

Thanks again
    sr

Friday, February 20, 2009 6:24 PM
  • I have no strongly-held opinion on the relative merits of avast! and McAfee. I have avast! on my server because A) they were first to market, B) they have a package deal for avast! for WHS plus 10 seats of the desktop version, and C) they have an add-in which allows central management of virus protection on all home computers with the home version of avast!. (<rant>I wish vendors would quit putting punctuation at the end of their product names; "avast!." is correct in that sentence but looks unbearably wrong and awkward.</rant>)

If you have McAfee and use it, and you like it now, then by all means continue to use it.

You can, in theory, install the PowerChute software on your server. But Windows operating systems have had (for many years) support for a UPS built in. I have a UPS connected to my server, and that built-in support seems to work fine. Your mileage may vary on this; some users have had various problems with their server when it was connected to a UPS, with or without the manufacturer-supplied software installed.

Friday, February 20, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Thanks much.  I just found a few posts on UPS/APC devices so will do some more reading also. 

And I agree on the use of the "!" in product names! ;-)
    Friday, February 20, 2009 6:45 PM