none
Handling of Windows 10 "Pictures" and Junction Point "My Pictures" RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 where my pictures were kept in c:\Users\name\Documents\My Pictures.

Windows 10 made "My Pictures" folder a Junction point pointing to c:\users\name\Pictures.

If you try to existing SyncToy Windows 7 jobs that ECHO'd entire c:\users\name\Documents folder to E:\Documents , SyncToy (Preview) shows DELETION of all c:\users\name\Documents\"My Pictures" files. I didn't do the actual RUN because I wanted my pictures saved. Thus, I assumed I had to climb the tree and create a new copy job that now copied c:\users\Rich and then select both the Documents folder AND the new Pictures folder. The run went fine, but TWO actual folders, "Pictures" AND "My Pictures" were created on E: despite "My Pictures" being just a Junction point on the C: drive. 

So, I had to modify that SyncToy job to Deselect "My Pictures" on the target E: drive. I first deleted the E:\users\name\Documents\My Pictures folder leaving just the c:\users\name\Pictures folder intact. Now running the modified job, I seem to get what I want: ONE copy of my pictures in c:\users\name\Pictures and NO c:\users\name\Documents\My Pictures.

I assume you can follow the above and note the problem that going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you have to redo your SyncToy jobs for pictures you had in My Pictures under Documents to prevent multiple copies of pictures.

Please correct me if I am wrong or there is another solution. Thanks.

Friday, September 4, 2015 9:01 PM

All replies

• nonsense, update and lose all your pictures and favorites? wish I  never had
    Friday, March 4, 2016 10:42 PM