Recieved mail regarding coding challenge errors, How to improve? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Well friends i just want to say that i have recieved a mail regarding my eerors in coding challenge but almost many of us know where we probably went wrong, so i feel ADMIN should also send us standard solutions to those problems so that we can learn from them and correct our mistakes in the next round.

Whats your say over this?

Note:- Please do not state the problems otherwise u might b disqualified,

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:56 AM

All replies

• Depends on the kind of problem that has been given ... if it's a trivial problem, then sending solutions will hamper the learning process, on the contrary if it's a tough one, then ya solutions could aid thinking process for future ...... what say ?
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:47 PM

• Yes it'll be better.. to hav solurions
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:08 PM
  • the problems r not gonna have unique  soln. so its not possible for them to provide solns for all those prob. better give the prob to some of ur frnds and seek help frm them...
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I couldn't agree more than what jayakumar wrote.. its not possible to have a unique solution.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Once you get a instant solution the urge for solving the problem goes. Even if one is not able to solve it for the contest, each one of us should try to find the solution. Points is a very small thing, what matters more is your overall growth. Once you are starved of the solution, you will make your best effort to find one. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. That is the reason I belive solutions shouldn't be provided.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:42 PM
  • 4 Abhrajit

First of all  WE all (participants of Rockstars) are almost  Graduate guys who will be most probably going to join a firm might be after a semester or two, what do you think we all have in common,

Since we all are here we must have something in common.

Its upto you to decide whats common, but i think most of us know what is good and what is bad for us we can decide what going to affect us and how.

"Getting an instant soln and end of finding a better soln ends " is something i woudnt agree
    Its upto you what you do after getting the solutions,
    And also what you do when you dont get the solutions

If sm1 gets 1000 in the coding what do you think he is going to re-solve the problem to solve it better?

Is that what we do? Acc 2 me ofcourse not,

if yes please tell me HOW to better it. when you dont even have the the poblem statement..
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:14 PM
  • 4 Jaya and Jain

And for all of you visiting this thread

We all know what is Good only because we know that other thing is Bad,
    As good or bad are relative concepts.
    Of course There are numerous solutions to a given problem, but how can someone judge without the Answer sheet?
    Even the Examiners are given some standard solutions ut that does nt means that all other methods are wrong

Similarly there might not be unique solution but what actually i am requesting is for an OPTIMAL SOLUTION,

Better heard by Algorithm's Students,

I do not want to follow a Greedy approach to get the solution , i would prefer to go with an Optimization approach, Sorry for being technical but thats a fact.

So that  i can score better when i get the next chance,
    After all that is why we all participate in the Coding challenge. Dont we???

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:26 PM
  •  Sanjeev _Kumar_0587e7 wrote:

Well friends i just want to say that i have recieved a mail regarding my eerors in coding challenge but almost many of us know where we probably went wrong, so i feel ADMIN should also send us standard solutions to those problems so that we can learn from them and correct our mistakes in the next round.

Whats your say over this?

Note:- Please do not state the problems otherwise u might b disqualified,

Ya I also want standard solutions x( plzzz give us solutions admin plzzz
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Well Sanjeev,

Everyone here wants to earn more and more points. There is no point of argument in this topic.

And for ( so called ) OPTIMAL SOLUTION, results is the answer. The person scoring the highest would have the optimal solution.

Agree with me??

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:37 AM
  • Ya i do agree,

but thats what i said Man.

Everynone wants to earn points.

Thats why i said to give solutions bcoz they are going to help evry1,

Even the Highest Scorer can benefit by improving skills and knowing alternative methods for the problem.

Friday, October 19, 2007 11:20 AM
  •  jain.nishit wrote:

Well Sanjeev,

Everyone here wants to earn more and more points. There is no point of argument in this topic.

And for ( so called ) OPTIMAL SOLUTION, results is the answer. The person scoring the highest would have the optimal solution.

Agree with me??

I also agree but i really need solution so that i can know how to program.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 4:52 PM
  • @Sanjeev

I feel you shouldn't have asked for other's comments if you are so rigid about getting a solution.

Secondly I never said that "Getting an instant soln and end of finding a better soln ends ", I said getting a solution means you loose the urge to solve the problem yourself. So please don't misquote.

If someone gets a 1000 points his solution is the one of the best possible solutions. So no need to better it.

You have written "
    if yes please tell me HOW to better it. when you dont even have the the poblem statement..". Don't you get the problem statement in the coding challenge???

Even after trying hard if you cant find the solution, you can always post your problem statement in the forum. Someone will obviously help you out. Note: Post question only after coding challenge ends.

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:20 PM
  • hey Abhrajit,

What happened buddy ,

Seems  you got hurt from my reply?

Arre dil pe mat le yaar,

It was just an usual response to what you said man, dont take it personal or otherwise,

And once you are out of coding challenge u cant access the problem definition again for detailed analysis,

And solutions will definitely benefit as far as i am concerned.

Rest is upto you how you back your opinion.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:42 AM

• ya giving the solutions will be great
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:30 AM
  • @Sanjeev

I am not hurt from your reply. We are all friends here in the forums. If you felt my reply portrayed so, I am sorry
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:53 PM

• ya its better if they provide but 4 how many the admin will tel...
    Monday, October 22, 2007 6:22 AM
  •  

ya, quite true but as they check everyone's and send suggestion they can do it too,

And we all know the whole coding challenge is organised under devsquare,

who are responsible for checking and other stuffs.

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:54 PM