invalid product key RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install windows xp pro onto a new computer with the product key issued by microsoft through the purchase  from wga. The original computer did not have a valid copy so they purchased a copy over the internet from wga validation. The old computer died and they bought a new one without operating sytem installed and wants to use the product key they just purchased from microsoft. I am using a oem disk to load windows and trying to inter the product key that they were sent, but I get an invalid product key error. Can someone help me get the program loaded or tell me why I cannot?
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

• They am it . I will have to go and get it. I was using a cd I have at the shop that I use for repairs tothe operating systems on other machines. I was going to buy a full version cd but never have. Guess I need too.
    george
    • Marked as answer by George369744 Monday, April 20, 2009 7:45 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hello george,

The Product Key acquired thru the WGA program is expecting a full retail CD, not an OEM CD.  It won't work with an OEM CD.

When you order the WGA Kit, you get a Product Key emailed to you and a genuine hologrammed full retail CD snail-mailed to you.  That's what you want to use.  What happened to the full retail CD?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:36 PM
  • They am it . I will have to go and get it. I was using a cd I have at the shop that I use for repairs tothe operating systems on other machines. I was going to buy a full version cd but never have. Guess I need too.
    george
    • Marked as answer by George369744 Monday, April 20, 2009 7:45 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:42 PM