Drive Failed, Only Way To Get Server To Boot Is To Disconnect It. RRS feed

• Question

• hi:)

been having some problems with my server taking an age to boot and then only working partially. i can get on the desktop by physically connecting a keboard/mouse annd monitor, but cannot access the console.

turns out one of my 1tb pool drives has failed, i've disconnected the drive and the server now boots normally and i can access the console, its obviously telling me the drive is missing and its throwing up alot of file conflicts.

server storage is constantly " calculating sizes ", so i've attempted removing the missing drive. the problem is it throws up an error saying

"you will permanently lose the files on the missing hard drive if you continue. continue if you no longer need access to these files.

to keep the files that are on this drive, reconnect it and click retry"

problem is the server hangs with the drive connected so thats not an option,

what i'm worried about is that i'm going to lose data if i continue removing the miissing drive. but i'll still have everything that was set to duplicate on the other drives right? i can then re duplicate when i get more storage?

i've just installed a 1.5tb drive a couple of weeks ago, so i have quite a bit of spare space, so i can duplicate the really important stuff.

thansk for your time:)
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:40 PM

Answers

• Given that the drive has failed completely (your server wouldn't allow console access) and you didn't have duplication turned on for all shares, you will have to accept that you will lose some data (you've already lost it, to be honest) and just proceed with the drive removal. Afterward, make sure that backups still work; if not run a repair on the backup database.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:35 PM
  • In case, the disk is not damaged physically, you can still attach it to a second system (prefered Vista or Win7, run chkdsk /f /r on it and try to get your data back as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:43 AM

All replies

• Given that the drive has failed completely (your server wouldn't allow console access) and you didn't have duplication turned on for all shares, you will have to accept that you will lose some data (you've already lost it, to be honest) and just proceed with the drive removal. Afterward, make sure that backups still work; if not run a repair on the backup database.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:35 PM
  • In case, the disk is not damaged physically, you can still attach it to a second system (prefered Vista or Win7, run chkdsk /f /r on it and try to get your data back as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:43 AM