Changing the main system drive in desktop RRS feed

• Question

• My desktop is equipped with a partitioned hard drive C; & D: The C partition which is FAT32 formatted holds an old XP OS version which I wish to get rid off.  The D: partition is my main drive and holds Vista OS.  This partition is fully backed up to WHS and I want to move it to a new, bigger hard drive.  I have read that when doing this I should keep to the same drive letters as before but clearly I want to allocate the new drive as C:.  Is this going to cause me a problem when restoring using the WHS restore disc?
    Many thanks
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    Vista has it's own considerations how to handle drive letters. How did you start the installation of Vista? If you started it by booting from the DVD, Vista should see it's own system volume already as C:. So it could work to restore just this partition and after that run the Startup repair from the DVD.
    This could work as well if Vista sees itself as drive D: or whatever (happens if you started the installation process from within a running OS), but with that scenario I don't know, what will happen if you restore it to a single partition. I believe it will preserve the drive letter, since it is bound to many applications and maybe some Windows components as well.
    So please share your experience here ;-)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:48 PM