KMS problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a KMS server to and its service address is visible in the DNS by using the nslookup method, as previously described.

Using a line analyser, I believe the problem is caused by the activation software not appending the DNS domain name to the KMS service name of _vlmcs._tcp

If my DNS domain name is depta.org1.com, the software should query the DNS for the service _vlmcs._tcp.depta.org1.com. Instead, the software queries the DNS with the name _vlmcs._tcp

This is wrong and the DNS replies with a 'no such name' record. Hence the failure message generated.

There is a setting that can be applied through policies, to append the DNS domain name to an unqualified multi-part name i.e. one with a dot in it. If I open a command window and type ping  _vlmcs._tcp, it fails saying it cannot find _vlmcs._tcp. If the policy setting is set to append the DNS domain to a multi-part name, then issuing the same ping aommand again fails, but this time it cannot find _vlmcs._tcp.depta.org1.com i.e. the domain name has been appended.

Unfortunately this does not affect the outcome of the activation software.

With nslookup and Ping, they will try the given string and, if failure occurs, they will recurse and add a list of DNS names in the order specified. This is not happening with the activation software.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Genuine Advantage validation questions. WGA and Product Activation are very different things, and Activation questions do not belong in this forum.

Please address any activation questions by following this link to Product Support Services. Select the product you wish to activate and follow the prompts and links to the type of service you need.

Activation documentation and support can be found on-line at the following locations:

Microsoft Product Support

Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance

Additional information can be found in the following KB Articles:

Your activation period has expired: 925616

Reduced Functionality Mode: 925582

Volume Activation: 929712

Activation Errors: 931276

If you are a Microsoft Premier customer, you can obtain support via the Microsoft Premier website.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• Further to my previous message. I believed that I had set the primary DNS suffix to be the suffix for my DNS domain (Bind 9.x) which also links to a MS DDNS.

Assuming that I had not set it, I looked up some help files but they wwere aimed at W2000 and XP. However, when exploring the Computer Name tab of System Properties, I clicked on the Change button, as I was going to move the PC from a Workgroup to a domain, to see if that made any difference. I then noticed a button called More on that pane and when i clicked it, I was given the opportunity to set the primary DNS suffix.

So, setting the primary DNS suffix and retaining the PC in a Workgroup, I then repeated the activation process (and monitoring the network with a line trace utility (Ethereal). This time the activation process ran for much longer, eventually failing with a message that teh KMS server was not available. This is true, because we are awaiting a new key for it, the first one being faulty.

Inspection of the line trace showed that this time the DNS domain siffix was added to the _vlmcs._tcp service name and the credentials of the KMS server were correctly passed back.

I hope this information helps.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:41 PM
  • Hello,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Genuine Advantage validation questions. WGA and Product Activation are very different things, and Activation questions do not belong in this forum.

Please address any activation questions by following this link to Product Support Services. Select the product you wish to activate and follow the prompts and links to the type of service you need.

Activation documentation and support can be found on-line at the following locations:

Microsoft Product Support

Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance

Additional information can be found in the following KB Articles:

Your activation period has expired: 925616

Reduced Functionality Mode: 925582

Volume Activation: 929712

Activation Errors: 931276

If you are a Microsoft Premier customer, you can obtain support via the Microsoft Premier website.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:00 PM