Testing for open ports ...a little help needed RRS feed

• Question

• I have forwarded ports 80, 443, and 4125 to my home server, and want to test if my ISP (or my modem) is blocking any ports. When I ran ShieldsUp!, I expected to find ports 80, 443 and 4125 open (if they were not blocked, as stated by my ISP), but ShieldsUp! said they were all in "stealth mode".

I don't understand this. Could someone please explain? How can I confirm whether or not these ports are, in fact, open, or blocked?

Thanks

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:07 AM

Answers

• I dug a little further into Gibson's ShieldsUp! site and found how to test for ports closed by an ISP. If I've done it correctly, then my ISP IS BLOCKING ports that they stated--several times!--that they were not blocking.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:27 AM

All replies

• I dug a little further into Gibson's ShieldsUp! site and found how to test for ports closed by an ISP. If I've done it correctly, then my ISP IS BLOCKING ports that they stated--several times!--that they were not blocking.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:27 AM
  • I'd like to hear any other opinions, experiences, help etc.

I'm in the same situation. ISP swears up and down they are not blocking any ports. I forwarded 80, 443 and 4125 to the internal IP (192.168.2.xxx) of the HP EX470 but can't get WHS console to approve.

Router is Belkin F5D8230-4

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:35 AM
  • Aarjay, if you go to the Shields Up! port testing web site and test ports 80, 443, and 4125 you can find out if your ISP is blocking certain ports. If the test reports that the ports are stealthed, then they're blocked somewhere (probably your ISP, assuming you have those ports correctly forwarded). If they're reported as closed or open, then they're not blocked.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:50 PM