Windows Disk Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello People,

I have installed windows SteadyState and have a few issues:

1: I created 2 profiles using the add new user option and put them on the E: drive (partioned half of an 80G disk...C: being the other half) Everything seems ok and set up each account how i wanted them to look etc. I have set up a Public account on the C drive which will be cleared when the Protection works (more on that next lol). Anyway the accounts work fine with no restrictions placed on them....as soon as i restrict the 2 accounts on E: and log into the they are recreated on the C: drive and My document etc goes to C and so they will lose work!! Now i have solved this by un-restricting them and moving the My docs target to their respective E: MY document.But, i was wondering if anyone else had this problem and have i failed to do something?

2. 2 of my 3 computers now work perfectly(if computers ever can lol) 1 of them though will not install the Windows Disk protection it creates the cache then gets so far then says installing driver and then pops up Windows Disk Protection was unable to install? I have searched that on here but found nothing so can anyone offer some advice? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Malc.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Malc,

First of all, I would like to confirm if the user accounts have ever been locked by selecting “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option. If so, this can be an expected behavior.

When you choose “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. User can customize the temporary profile, the changes will be saved to the temporary profile. When user logs off, changes under temporary profile will be removed. On the next log on, a new temporary profile will be created again.

Thus, when you lock a profile located on drive E, the profile folder on drive E will be renamed to <username>.orig. At the same time, a temporary profile folder (with the same user name) will be created on drive C. However, profile changes in this temporary profile folder will not be copied back to drive E. This makes sure the locked profile will not be modified.

If you unlocked the user profile afterwards, the temporary profile folder will be kept. Changes will be saved to the temporary profile folder under drive C first. When you log off the account, the changes will be copied to drive E. In this case, please check if the changes have been saved to drive E after logging off the account.

Note: If you never locked a user profile, only restriction change will not create temporary profile folder under drive C.

WDP cannot turn on

----------------------------

Please let me know the error message first. Usually, this issue can be closely related to hard drive problems, you can refer to the following threads:

Windows Disk Protection

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1997424&SiteID=69

Turning on Disk Protect always results in "Corrupted Cache File" error

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2014837&SiteID=69

Meanwhile, the SteadyState driver installation uses Kernel-Mode Driver Framework. To troubleshoot this driver installation issue, you can refer to the following link:

Troubleshooting KMDF Driver Installation

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/tips/KMDF_install.mspx

Best Regards,

Friday, October 19, 2007 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Malc,

First of all, I would like to confirm if the user accounts have ever been locked by selecting “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option. If so, this can be an expected behavior.

When you choose “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. User can customize the temporary profile, the changes will be saved to the temporary profile. When user logs off, changes under temporary profile will be removed. On the next log on, a new temporary profile will be created again.

Thus, when you lock a profile located on drive E, the profile folder on drive E will be renamed to <username>.orig. At the same time, a temporary profile folder (with the same user name) will be created on drive C. However, profile changes in this temporary profile folder will not be copied back to drive E. This makes sure the locked profile will not be modified.

If you unlocked the user profile afterwards, the temporary profile folder will be kept. Changes will be saved to the temporary profile folder under drive C first. When you log off the account, the changes will be copied to drive E. In this case, please check if the changes have been saved to drive E after logging off the account.

Note: If you never locked a user profile, only restriction change will not create temporary profile folder under drive C.

WDP cannot turn on

----------------------------

Please let me know the error message first. Usually, this issue can be closely related to hard drive problems, you can refer to the following threads:

Windows Disk Protection

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1997424&SiteID=69

Turning on Disk Protect always results in "Corrupted Cache File" error

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2014837&SiteID=69

Meanwhile, the SteadyState driver installation uses Kernel-Mode Driver Framework. To troubleshoot this driver installation issue, you can refer to the following link:

Troubleshooting KMDF Driver Installation

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/tips/KMDF_install.mspx

Best Regards,

Friday, October 19, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply

The profiles were locked yes, I want these users to be able to save their documents if they wish but nothing else.

Am I correct then in assuming the way I have the accounts set up now will do this?

As for the Disk protection I will be read through the forums on and then Monday I will attempt any troubleshooting and get back to you.

Thanks for your help in this matter, much appreciated!!

Malc

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Hi Malc,

Your understanding on the first issue is correct. The new users will act as I explained too. If there is any update on these issues, please feel free to let me know and I will be glad to help.

Regards,

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:36 AM