Windows XP did not pass genuine validation! RRS feed

• Question

• Help......I just bought this software brand new and it failed validation. Now what?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT
    Windows Product Key Hash: rPH6S3AbHvh7bK/I9z78bmpX6wc=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-3538547-23500
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 76c418f6-d454-4c06-bc0b-b57c6b1269b2
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: G:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>76c418f6-d454-4c06-bc0b-b57c6b1269b2</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KHJQT</PKey><PID>55274-640-3538547-23500</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-527237240-413027322-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080009  </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040223000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A1CD338701848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:07 PM

Answers

• Matt,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:20 PM
  •  

XP Pro

OEM Software

Thanks, Matt

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Matt,

Your next step is to compare the part of the installed Product Key shown by the mgadiag utility, in your case B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, with the corresponding last three character groupings of the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity.

If you have a match, then your last step is to navigate to the Counterfeit Gallery at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx and compare the materials you received, especially the CD, with the counterfeit examples.  If your materials can be classified by Microsoft as hi-quality counterfeit materials, you would qualify for a free replacement.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:35 PM
  •  

Well i checked and the CD looks to be genuine with the holograms and all. What should i do next?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Matt,

Three things to look for:

1.  Look very closely at the hologram on your CD.  Is the hologram on a very thin label affixed to the top of the CD or is it actually embedded within the plastic of the CD?

2.  Navigate to the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD's files.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Please post the data in the second section, it's one line of fewer than 12 characters.

3.  Compare the portion of the Product Key shown by the mgadiag tool (*****-*****-B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT) to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the COA (assuming there is a COA).  Do they match?

Finally, work your way thru this quiz to thoroughly check your COA and then CD.  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_coa.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare+Now

What CD do you have?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 12:22 AM
  •  

Looks like it is an embedded hologram

Pid=55274270

Yes, I used the COA's product key when I installed XP Pro the other day.

The quiz said it was Genuine.

Thank you for comparing your anti-piracy features.

Your disc exhibits Microsoft’s anti-piracy features.

These features are designed to reduce counterfeiting, and their presence on your disc is a positive indicator of a genuine Microsoft Windows operating system. If you acquired your Microsoft Windows operating system as an individually boxed product, your box should contain a Certificate of Authenticity. For more information on the Certificate of Authenticity, locate your product on the How to Tell Windows Category Page.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:56 AM
  • The last three numbers of the PID are 270, which indicate that the contents of the CD are Volume Licensing bits.  However, the CD you have was not used to do the current installation because the PID of the current installation is 55274-640-3538547-23500; if the CD you have did the installation the installed PID would have "270" where the "640" is.

Following the CD quiz, did the CD compare to a systembuilder/OEM CD or a Volume Licensing CD?  Systembuilder/OEM CDs generally have just the hologram on them, while Volume Licensing CDs also have some overprinted printing silk-screened onto the top surface of the CD to identify them.  Have a look here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_vol.mspx

Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:26 PM
  •  

I think am going to reformat both drives and then try the install again and rerun the diagnostic tool.

I'll let ya know

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:55 AM
  •  

Dan,

Thanks for the help. I had another install of XP Pro on my second harddrive that the validation tool picked up on.

100% Genuine now!!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 11:51 PM
  • The PC I am using now was purchase from compaq and I have the original product key for my Windows XP Home Edition. However the product key detected by the above mentioned find outs is totally different. (*****-*****-B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, mind in the certificate ends with FDTBT)

I think this arises when I have brought my computer once for servicing as a result of virus and they have it re-instal with the copy I am using now.

How can I get a genuine copy of or can I down load a original copy from the internet and I will get the whole copy reinstal using my genuine copy certificate. Thank you very much

Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:06 AM
  • Joseph Hong,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I think we will find out that you have an invalid product key installed, B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, and that the installed XP is a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro.

The best option to get your Compaq computer back to being Genuine is to use the Recovery Solution provided with the computer, which most often is one or more Recovery CDs or a hidden Recovery data partition on the hard disk drive.

Under no circumstances should you use a downloaded copy of XP.  Microsoft research shows that over half of such downloads are packed with malware, rootkits, spyware, and other unwanted binary code.  If you cannot get a genuine Recovery CD from Compaq/Hewlett Packard, then borrow a genuine systembuilder/OEM copy of XP Home and use that CD plus the Product Key on your Compaq CoA to install XP Home, then do a telephonic activation of the installation.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:58 PM

All replies

• Matt,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:20 PM
  •  

XP Pro

OEM Software

Thanks, Matt

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Matt,

Your next step is to compare the part of the installed Product Key shown by the mgadiag utility, in your case B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, with the corresponding last three character groupings of the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity.

If you have a match, then your last step is to navigate to the Counterfeit Gallery at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx and compare the materials you received, especially the CD, with the counterfeit examples.  If your materials can be classified by Microsoft as hi-quality counterfeit materials, you would qualify for a free replacement.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:35 PM
  •  

Well i checked and the CD looks to be genuine with the holograms and all. What should i do next?

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Matt,

Three things to look for:

1.  Look very closely at the hologram on your CD.  Is the hologram on a very thin label affixed to the top of the CD or is it actually embedded within the plastic of the CD?

2.  Navigate to the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD's files.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Please post the data in the second section, it's one line of fewer than 12 characters.

3.  Compare the portion of the Product Key shown by the mgadiag tool (*****-*****-B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT) to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the COA (assuming there is a COA).  Do they match?

Finally, work your way thru this quiz to thoroughly check your COA and then CD.  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_coa.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare+Now

What CD do you have?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 12:22 AM
  •  

Looks like it is an embedded hologram

Pid=55274270

Yes, I used the COA's product key when I installed XP Pro the other day.

The quiz said it was Genuine.

Thank you for comparing your anti-piracy features.

Your disc exhibits Microsoft’s anti-piracy features.

These features are designed to reduce counterfeiting, and their presence on your disc is a positive indicator of a genuine Microsoft Windows operating system. If you acquired your Microsoft Windows operating system as an individually boxed product, your box should contain a Certificate of Authenticity. For more information on the Certificate of Authenticity, locate your product on the How to Tell Windows Category Page.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:56 AM
  • The last three numbers of the PID are 270, which indicate that the contents of the CD are Volume Licensing bits.  However, the CD you have was not used to do the current installation because the PID of the current installation is 55274-640-3538547-23500; if the CD you have did the installation the installed PID would have "270" where the "640" is.

Following the CD quiz, did the CD compare to a systembuilder/OEM CD or a Volume Licensing CD?  Systembuilder/OEM CDs generally have just the hologram on them, while Volume Licensing CDs also have some overprinted printing silk-screened onto the top surface of the CD to identify them.  Have a look here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_vol.mspx

Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:26 PM
  •  

I think am going to reformat both drives and then try the install again and rerun the diagnostic tool.

I'll let ya know

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:55 AM
  •  

Dan,

Thanks for the help. I had another install of XP Pro on my second harddrive that the validation tool picked up on.

100% Genuine now!!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 11:51 PM
  • The PC I am using now was purchase from compaq and I have the original product key for my Windows XP Home Edition. However the product key detected by the above mentioned find outs is totally different. (*****-*****-B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, mind in the certificate ends with FDTBT)

I think this arises when I have brought my computer once for servicing as a result of virus and they have it re-instal with the copy I am using now.

How can I get a genuine copy of or can I down load a original copy from the internet and I will get the whole copy reinstal using my genuine copy certificate. Thank you very much

Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:06 AM
  • Joseph Hong,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

I think we will find out that you have an invalid product key installed, B9HYD-RT64P-KHJQT, and that the installed XP is a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro.

The best option to get your Compaq computer back to being Genuine is to use the Recovery Solution provided with the computer, which most often is one or more Recovery CDs or a hidden Recovery data partition on the hard disk drive.

Under no circumstances should you use a downloaded copy of XP.  Microsoft research shows that over half of such downloads are packed with malware, rootkits, spyware, and other unwanted binary code.  If you cannot get a genuine Recovery CD from Compaq/Hewlett Packard, then borrow a genuine systembuilder/OEM copy of XP Home and use that CD plus the Product Key on your Compaq CoA to install XP Home, then do a telephonic activation of the installation.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:58 PM