Message says my OS is counterfeit and that I must buy a new one? RRS feed

• Question

• Results 1-20 of about 66,800,000 for: What is happening? I have been using a machine with Win7 for several months. Suddenly, I get a message saying my OS is counterfeit and that I must buy a new one. Is this a scam anyone has seen before, or does MS have a faulty investigative program? HELP!
    I purchase my hardware and software from reputable companies and I seriously doubt that they would want the legal issues of selling improper software.  Has anyone successfully stood up to this mistreatment?  My lawyer would cost more than new software - I just don't like being taken advantage of - be it a scam or BIG BROTHER BILL.
    If it is not a scam, I don't like paying twice for the same software - especially when there would be nothing in my power to prevent MS from repeating their unjustified threats.
    Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Regards,
    Davis
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Davis,

No Where in ANY of the Non-Genuine messaging, that you have received, were you EVER Threatened.   No funtionality has been removed or altered (except the desktop background my turn black from time to time) nor will any be removed or altered in the forseeable future. You have been notified of a problem, Nothing More.

To date there has been a little over 400 Windows 7 Non-Genuine problem threads in this forum.  That is a miniscule amount compared to the number of Windows 7 in use right now. Given those numbers, you are experiencing what would be considered a Rare issue.

Now, you have been notified of an Rare non-genuine related problem occuring in your Windows 7. What you do about it is up to you. If you would like to continue talking about lawyers and law suits, then a support forum is not the place for you and I would direct you to http://microsoft.com/legal  However, If you would like us to help you correct that problem, then please follow Carey Frich's advice and post a Diagnostic Report so we can see what the trouble is and try to get you fixed up as quicky as possible.

Regards,

Darin MS
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:12 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Hello Davis,

No Where in ANY of the Non-Genuine messaging, that you have received, were you EVER Threatened.   No funtionality has been removed or altered (except the desktop background my turn black from time to time) nor will any be removed or altered in the forseeable future. You have been notified of a problem, Nothing More.

To date there has been a little over 400 Windows 7 Non-Genuine problem threads in this forum.  That is a miniscule amount compared to the number of Windows 7 in use right now. Given those numbers, you are experiencing what would be considered a Rare issue.

Now, you have been notified of an Rare non-genuine related problem occuring in your Windows 7. What you do about it is up to you. If you would like to continue talking about lawyers and law suits, then a support forum is not the place for you and I would direct you to http://microsoft.com/legal  However, If you would like us to help you correct that problem, then please follow Carey Frich's advice and post a Diagnostic Report so we can see what the trouble is and try to get you fixed up as quicky as possible.

Regards,

Darin MS
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:12 PM