Following PP1 install, critically low space on Sys (drive C) RRS feed

• Question

• Just RD into WHS and noticed I only had about 20MB free out of 20 GB and got a low disk space warning.  Was having problems with my CPU being pegged at 100% and found massive log files in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs some that were 2.5GB in size.  Deleted all of them and seems my CPU usage is now normal.  Anyone else get this behavior?  Thanks.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:59 AM

Answers

• This issue has been fixed in a future build.  The people that filed bugs via Connect have access to build1776 that fixes this issue.   

If you load the home server Add-In portion of the Toolkit on your home server, there is an option for copying and cleaning (aka deleting) log files.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:53 PM
  • This is beta software, the bug has been fixed in a subsequent build and the fix is included in the final version of Power Pack 1.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:59 PM

All replies

• I cant say I have had that problem.

What were the logs? What was in them?

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Ok, figured out what was going on sorta.  When I turn on "folder duplication" the demigrator (or whatever service) pegs CPU at 100% and starts creating these massive logs.  I can't open them because they get up to 2.5GB in size and only way I can stop them from growing is to turn off duplication of my folders and then it settles down.  Seems like WHS is having problems with trying to duplicate my files.  Not sure why but I let it try to duplicate overnight and it was unable to (about 335 GB of files and only was able to duplicate about 50GB before these massive log files started to grow and doesn't seem to get any bigger).  I have 2.1TB of free space on my server as well.  This is using HP's mediasmartserver as well.

Jim
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Jim,

I also have 3GB log files being created every hour since installing PP1. Opening file in hexeditor, the error in the DEUtil log is repeated throughout the 3GB log and would apear in my case to be caused by a path name having a "(" in it. An edited extract of this log file contains:

[13/06/2008 10:00:00]

[13/06/2008 10:00:00 130] OpenedFile::Rename: Error 183 renaming \\DE\\shares\\-share-name-\\-path-\\text (CD-ID)\\E-REND~1.URL to

\\??\\Volume{b22d1b11-ac8e-11dc-8027-000ae483cb57}\\DE\\shares\\-share-name-\\-path-\\text\\E-REND~1.URL

[13/06/2008 10:00:00 130] OpenedFile::Rename: Error 183 renaming \\DE\\shares\\-share-name-\\-path-\\text (CD-ID)\\E-REND~1.URL to

\\??\\Volume{b22d1b11-ac8e-11dc-8027-000ae483cb57}\\DE\\shares\\-share-name-\\-path-\\text\\E-REND~1.URL

etc...

It seems the "DEUtil" cannot get past this error and loops generating thousands of repeated error messages.

David

Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:14 PM
  • I have had the same problem.  When I created new, shared folders with duplication on, it would spike the CPU to 100% and take forever to create the folder.  When I did the same thing with duplication off, the folder was created immediately with no problems.  When I looked in the log file/folder listed above, I found HUGE log files in there.  I deleted them and the issues with the drive space vanished.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:10 PM
  • As it appears to be reproducible, it would be worthwhile posting it as a bug, with the info, in the Connect site, where you downloaded the PP 1 from.

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  

Interesting... I installed PP1 the other day and it now seems my server has about a days uptime before it becomes completely non-responsive.  Only error I can get out is a "Not enough storage space is available to process this command" when trying to go to a share.  Will keep an eye on these logs...
    Monday, June 16, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Just an update.  I've explored this further and figured out I can duplicate all folders except one.  Must be some files in that folder or something else wrong that is causing some errors with massive growth in these log files.  Everytime I try to duplicate this one folder, WHS is unable to and starts to create gigantic log files until it basically runs out of space.  Next step is going to be trying to figure out what files are causing the problem and why... (maybe their too long, have strange characters in name, etc).
    Monday, June 16, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Do all of the filenames have tilde characters (~) in them?

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I have the same Problem here after installing PP1.
    Every morning there are huge deutil*.log files.
    The files are up to 4.5 GB in size and every hour there is a new one created.
    I can´t open them because they are to large for my editor.
    After deleting the files the same happens again.
    The last log File was created at 9:00 AM and now 22 minutes later the size is at 1.7 GB and growing.

How can i stop this?

RegardsChristoph

P.S. I have the german WHS version
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:23 AM
  • Christoph,

I opened my GB log files with a hex editor, I used frhed, and read in the first 1MB of the log file.

This should show the repeated error. In my case it was because the file path was too long.

Once I reduced the path length, DEUTIL proceeded to the next error. Eventually I resolved all the long path names, and this stopped the creation of the large log files. I had collected 424GB of logs in a week.

Regards

David

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Couple of things:

(1) Do all of the files have 8.3 short filenames?  If so, then someone reported this bug and it is being fixed.

(2) You can use the Toolkit via the Windows Home Server Console to "Copy" your log files and also "Clean" (or Delete) your log files.  These 2 options are under the "Support" tab "Log ..." 

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Thanks for the help
    I opend one log file with the hex Editor and it says:

Code Snippet

[25.06.2008 08:00:02  b30] OpenedFile::Rename: Error 183 renaming \\DE\\shares\\<bh:d6>ffentlich\\Treiber\\Treiber1\\Treiber 1\\GPS Logger\\Drivers\\USB to Serial Converter Drive\\Win CE for (3.0)\\PL-2303  for WindowsCE3.0(for ARM CPU)\\USBSER~1.000 to \\??\\Volume{f71b760e-1ab6-11dd-b114-806e6f6e6963}\\DE\\shares\\Backup\\Treiber_bak\\Treiber1\\Treiber 1\\GPS Logger\\Drivers\\USB to Serial Converter Drive\\Win CE for (3.0)\\PL-2303  for WindowsCE3.0(for ARM CPU)\\USBSER~1.000

[25.06.2008 08:00:02  b30] OpenedFile::Rename: Error 183 renaming \\DE\\shares\\<bh:d6>ffentlich\\Treiber\\Treiber1\\Treiber 1\\GPS Logger\\Drivers\\USB to Serial Converter Drive\\Win CE for (3.0)\\PL-2303  for WindowsCE3.0(for ARM CPU)\\USBSER~1.000 to \\??\\Volume{f71b760e-1ab6-11dd-b114-806e6f6e6963}\\DE\\shares\\Backup\\Treiber_bak\\Treiber1\\Treiber 1\\GPS Logger\\Drivers\\USB to Serial Converter Drive\\Win CE for (3.0)\\PL-2303  for WindowsCE3.0(for ARM CPU)\\USBSER~1.000

Whats wrong with this File/Folder and how can i delete it.

I send a log File. The CAB Nr. is 486031376

The ID is 352837

I switched all duplication off and rebooted the whs-server. Doesn´t help.

For the moment I´ve done a short program, that deletes these huge log files on a hourly basis.

Christoph
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:44 AM
  • I had the same problem for over a week.  C:/ drive would run low on disk space.  Found the problem in the Log folder and deleted them but a couple of days later low disk space again.  I finally figured out that it was one file causing an error and the log was stuck reporting it over and over again until it would time out several gigs for each log.

I decided to give up the file and just delete it.  Once I did that everything went back to normal again. 

By the way I also noticed that while I was having this problem my duplication size didn't match my shared folder size in the WHS Console, but once I fixed the log problem my duplication size finally started to bablance out and is now the appropriate size equalling my regular shared folder size. 

I know it isn't an ideal solution, but maybe your file is corrupt also and deleting it might fix your problem.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Same problem - logs are of the form C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\DEUtil.070408.110000.3936.log and they're running up ~2.5GB in new log files every hour.  I have three 500 GB drives and never enabled Folder Duplication until I installed PP1 RC4 - I and am now turning FD off.  Incidentally, when I select (or unselect) "Enable Folder Duplication" in the Windows Home Server Console Shared Folders Properties page, the WHS Console hangs.  I can access it immediately from another computer, and there appear to be no other effects or issues.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 3:46 PM
  • This issue has been fixed in a future build.  The people that filed bugs via Connect have access to build1776 that fixes this issue.   

If you load the home server Add-In portion of the Toolkit on your home server, there is an option for copying and cleaning (aka deleting) log files.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:53 PM
  • By way of update, and borrowing from advice from other forum members, I used frhed to open a portion of the DEUtil... log file and saw that it was idiot looping on a single file in a relatively deep subdirectory (~229 characters including the filename) - and the single file had a tilde (~) in the name.  I was not able to rename the file directly, or via cmd /a.  I tried to stop the "Drive Extender Migrator Service" but it would not stop, so I rebooted the server and was able to stop the service immediately after the reboot.  Once the service was stopped, I was able to rename the file, and then restart the service.  I'm monitoring the log file but it is now much, much smaller and the logged messages appear to be normal.  Next, I'll gently attempt to reenable folder duplication.  As for the tilde (~) in the filename, all I can say is that many older Windows files had tildes which were imposed by the file system - and this particular file was a relic from such a case.  If WHS can't handle older Windows filenames, then perhaps the beta test suite is a little short on practical examples.  If I'm off base, I apologize - but how did this one escape QA?
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:45 PM
  • This is beta software, the bug has been fixed in a subsequent build and the fix is included in the final version of Power Pack 1.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Yes... and we are all trying to help you sort things out... would be appreciated if the update with fix was made available to the rest of us!

Thanks for your time.

DL

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Fixed... after spending hours removing a drive full to capacity of log files, removed PP1 build1771 and will wait for release of next build and try again. Keep up the good work!

DL

Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Any way I can get access to the new build?  Was moving the last couple weeks and didn't have my home server on but now I do.  I can submit a bug report, but looks like it has been resolved.  I can duplicate this issue every time I try and turn on folder duplication for a certain folder (I haven't explored all files, but must be some files in there WHS PP1 build 1771 doesn't like).  Sounds like build 1776 fixes this for a lot of people...you should think about making this public.  If you want me to submit an official bug report, I certainly can as well.

Jim
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 3:22 PM