Unable to access shares on my WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• What I have...

Server: WHS 2011, HP ProLiant Ultra Micro Tower, 3x2Tb hdd, 1x1Tb hdd, 4Gb ram

PC: Win 7 Ult 64bit, Core i5 gen2 (1155), 8Gb ram, 128Gb ssd (OS), 2x1Tb hdd, HD6950, P67 chipset

My issue...

My PC cannot access the shares on the server. I have installed, uninstalled, rebooted, cleaned reg, re-installed, stood one one leg, leaned to the left, pat my head and rub my tummy (at the same time) and my PC just cannot access the shares. I am an 16 year IT vet and have never had such a frustrating experience trying to get two Windows based systems to talk to one another. I can RDC from PC to server just fine. I have even tried the old fashioned way and created accounts and set permissions on the server to no effect. My HTPC (Win7Pro64bit) has no issues. My two net books (both Win7HomePre32) have no issues. I have even tried a fresh OS install on my PC and it does not work. If anyone can help with this before I take a sledge hammer and/or shotgun to it I would be most greeatful.

I guess I should say this did work for a few days after I first built the server but now all my data has been migrated to it, now I can't access it.

Thanks

• Edited by jeverson Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:24 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:24 AM

Answers

• I have even tried the old fashioned way and created accounts and set permissions on the server to no effect.

What are your exact symptoms. Not sure what you mean by the above. Using the Dashboard to create User Accounts with the same Passwords on the Server as you have on your Client machines is the correct way of doing this.

If it has stopped working, what have you done in the intervening period - sounds as though you might have been working directly on the Server rather than using the Dashboard? Also suggest removing it from any HomeGroup you may have and just use individual folder permissions in the Dashboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, April 30, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, April 30, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 7, 2012 4:56 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:45 PM

All replies

• I have even tried the old fashioned way and created accounts and set permissions on the server to no effect.

What are your exact symptoms. Not sure what you mean by the above. Using the Dashboard to create User Accounts with the same Passwords on the Server as you have on your Client machines is the correct way of doing this.

If it has stopped working, what have you done in the intervening period - sounds as though you might have been working directly on the Server rather than using the Dashboard? Also suggest removing it from any HomeGroup you may have and just use individual folder permissions in the Dashboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, April 30, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, April 30, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, May 7, 2012 4:56 AM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Same problem here. Client  = WIN 7 Pro 64 bit. Userrname and pasword same on the server and client.  But acces denied to the folders on server.

Workgroup on client has another name. Not Homegroup or so.

Ignacev

Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I have tried setting permission both on the server (old fashioned way) and tried setting permissions via the dashboard. Although, now that I think about it, the connector client on my PC never asks me for a user name and password like my other PCs do. The only time it asks for any kind of authentication is when I run the connector software during setup. Even if I kill the process and relaunch, it never prompts me for a ID and password. Also, on my last round of re-installs the connector has a little flag on it that says the server cannot be found even though I can see it in Explorer and I can RDC to it. Does any of that help? I don't know what MS did to dumb this down from server 2008 but I am really starting to not like it. Anyway, at this point I think I just need another head or two to think about this one. Thanks.
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:22 PM
  • If by connector you mean the Launchpad, that logs in automatically with the credentials you provided but if you have the gray flag, then it thinks the Server is not available. None of that should have any impact on the ability to connect to shared folders.

As you think it should act as Server 2008 (on which it is based) it sounds as though you have done configuration outside the Dashboard (and I don't know what that might be) it does not like and consequently, I would be inclined to do a server restore from a backup from when it was working - it might be quicker that way!

Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Did you check “Credential Manager" on the client? In one of my earlier builds I problems like this and found that a Credential had been saved there.

When it had asked for a “user/pass” I believe I checked “remember me” or something like that creating the credential.

In that build that I did I just deleted this credential and it cleared it up.

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:00 AM
  • I have had similar issues on one of my pc's on my network and do not have it with my other pc's. I have resolve the issue by starting the LaunchPad and the issue goes away.  Hope this helps...

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:36 AM
  • OK. So even though I wasn't using it for authentication I disabled homegroup on the PC and server and rebooted both. I am currently able to access the shares now. Not sure how long it will last but it's something. You saved it from a grizzly death ;). Thanks eveyone.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 1:11 PM
  • I know this can be frustrating.  The same thing happen to me when I first setup my WHS 2011.  I had to reinstall WHS before the issue went away.  I wasn't as patient as you.  I believe the issue in in WHS and not your pc that can not acess the shared files.  Hope this helps...

Night Owl

Monday, May 7, 2012 5:57 PM