Intel 945G Graphics Driver for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone found a driver that will work on WHS for the 945G graphics chipset? I have an Intel Atom board (D945GCFL2) that I've got WHS running on it now, however, it won't go into a standby state. From what I can tell, getting real graphics driver may allow me to go into standby. I just haven't been able to find ones that will install for this.

Standby isn't even an option on the Shut Down menu.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    how much memory you have in your server?
    Have the settings for standby beeing configured in the Bios before you started setup?

About the video drivers: Usually you can install the Windows XP drivers (although this is not supported and may degrade the stability of the system in some cases).
    Since those check the OS, you need to change the setup program to run in compatibility mode.
    To do this:
    • right click the executable file
    • select Properties from context menu
    • if there is the button Unblock still shown, click it
    • open the Compatibility tab
    • enable the checkbox Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP
    • execute the setup program
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ZacConnect Friday, December 26, 2008 5:56 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    how much memory you have in your server?
    Have the settings for standby beeing configured in the Bios before you started setup?

About the video drivers: Usually you can install the Windows XP drivers (although this is not supported and may degrade the stability of the system in some cases).
    Since those check the OS, you need to change the setup program to run in compatibility mode.
    To do this:
    • right click the executable file
    • select Properties from context menu
    • if there is the button Unblock still shown, click it
    • open the Compatibility tab
    • enable the checkbox Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP
    • execute the setup program
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ZacConnect Friday, December 26, 2008 5:56 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 12:54 PM
  • Ideally, you need Windows Server 2003 drivers for your board. Since it's an Intel desktop board, server drivers won't be available (Intel only publishes them for server boards). You can try installing the XP drivers instead, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Olaf, I tried running it in Compatibility Mode, but the options were greyed out in the Compatibility Tab. I realized after you suggested this, and I had previously saw it suggested elsewhere too, that it may be because I was accessing the exe from a share, using the Shared Folders on Server link. I usually copy all my drivers to the Software share.

I copied the install folder to the desktop and the Compatibility Tab was accessible and the install worked. After the reboot, the Standby option was finally available. Thank you!

Now if I can just figure out why WoL isn't working.

EDIT: Looks like I needed to set the option to allow the NIC to wake the computer from Standby in Computer Management.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 6:04 PM