Virtual PC 07 in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I wanted to know if anyone has successfully installed Virtual PC 07 in Windows Home Server.  I specifically want to run an instance of red hat that is always accessible. WHS is obviously always on and accessible, and i have the resources, so can i do this, and if yes, would i have to do anything special?

thanks
    jpearl
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

• Virtual Server 2003 R2 is the software, which I tried myself and which works well for my needs.
    Some considerations here:
    • Your WHS should have enough memory.
    • Ideally the CPU should support virtualization and this should be enabled in the Bios.
    • The disk which holds the virtual disk images should be a separate drive not being part of the storage pool.
    • VS also interacts with IIS, which may cause the one or other riddle.
    Virtual PC instead has the drawback, that it needs a desktop session to be executed and some other limitations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:58 PM

All replies

• jpearl said:

Hi,
    I wanted to know if anyone has successfully installed Virtual PC 07 in Windows Home Server.  I specifically want to run an instance of red hat that is always accessible. WHS is obviously always on and accessible, and i have the resources, so can i do this, and if yes, would i have to do anything special?

thanks
    jpearl

While you might get it to work, installing any VM software on WHS is unsupported.  (As a matter of fact, I don't know if VPC will install at all.  You might have to try Virtual Server.)  If you decide to do it anyway, my suggestion would be to host the virtual machine on a drive that is not part of the storage pool.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Virtual PC 2007 is not what you want to use. it can't be configured to start a virtual machine with the physical machine. For an always-available instance of anything, you will need virtual server.

As has been pointed out, this is unsupported. It should work, however; other users have installed VMWare or other virtualization technologies on their servers. One thing to be careful of is that you should not out any virtual hard drives in the server's shares. Because of the way virtualization technologies work, you will probably get errors reported by drive extender because the files that contain the virtual hard drives are always open.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I was running VMWare on my WHS box and it worked fine. Now that you metion the Drive Extender issue, I was keeping my working images on a seperate 30gb drive that wasn't in the drive pool. My problem was figuring how to get the network working the way I wanted with the Astaro that I was running in the VM.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:01 AM
  •   if i use vmware to partition one of the drives that is already in the storage pool, will drive extender still try to do its thing with that new partition?
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:18 AM
  • jpearl said:

if i use vmware to partition one of the drives that is already in the storage pool, will drive extender still try to do its thing with that new partition?

You cannot partition any drive that is part of the storage pool.  Once you add it to the pool, WHS takes full control of the entire drive.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Virtual Server 2003 R2 is the software, which I tried myself and which works well for my needs.
    Some considerations here:
    • Your WHS should have enough memory.
    • Ideally the CPU should support virtualization and this should be enabled in the Bios.
    • The disk which holds the virtual disk images should be a separate drive not being part of the storage pool.
    • VS also interacts with IIS, which may cause the one or other riddle.
    Virtual PC instead has the drawback, that it needs a desktop session to be executed and some other limitations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:58 PM