Completely removing Symantec/Norton keys and files from registry RRS feed

• General discussion

• No matter what I try to do, I cannot completely remove the remnants of Norton and additional Symantec software from my computer.  I've already tried the supposed Norton Removal Tool and even deleting every key containing "Symantic" using regedit; but not only am I unable to delete the "Legacy" keys, but I'm also finding the rest of the registry keys merely reappear after I restart, and I'm not even certain that I'd located all of the pertinent entries!!!  Can someone please tell me how to get this garbage off my hard drive?!?

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:12 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:13 PM Off topic. (From:Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:56 AM

All replies

• I would try reinstalling the Symantec product, then uninstall all Symantec products listed in add/remove programs or programs and features in Vista, then run the Norton removal tool specific to your installed Norton product. If this fails you might try Symantec support for help.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:13 AM
  • I've already tried that... as well as searching their site for further documentation and contacting their tech support department (who can't even seem to call back in person, much less develop a working automated rescheduling system).  Quite frankly, I've heard that Symantec integrates malicious code into their software... which I now believe entirely.  Any other suggestions?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:46 AM
  • THIS FORUM IS FOR MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS QUESTIONS ONLY

DO NOT POST NON SECURITY ESSENTIALS QUESTIONS HERE!!!!!!!
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Wesley-C, try this - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:11 PM