Used pc xp going from genuine when bought to not genuine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Have a problem with a * used (second hand) * pc.

The pc had did not have a coa sticker on it or cd. Therfore I toke microsoft's website advice and downloaded and ran the wga validation tool on it (after updating to sp2, and installing all current updates), it said the operating system was genuine, I only then handed over the money for the pc.

To quote, from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FailureScenarios.aspx

"Buying anything used requires an extra level of due diligence [true], and that is especially true for used PCs. In this scenario, a user buys a used PC with a working copy of Windows and finds out later that the copy of Windows is not genuine when it fails validation. We also recommended that, when possible, users actually validate the copy of Windows first at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine before completing the purchase [did this]. Users should also ask the seller to include the original Windows media and the Certificate of Authenticity [did try,but did not worry too much, put trust in WGA tool as previous step completed ok]. Microsoft can help users who unknowingly purchased a used PC with a counterfeit version of Windows XP convert their system to genuine Windows." [hopefully?]

I gave the machine to my sister in law's daughter for the kids to use. On the strength of this they paid out for Sky Broadband/Tv/Phone package, and installed a wireless network connection.

All went well , until the pc started reporting the operating system was now not genuine, leaving failed WGA test pop-up messages everywhere, and making services like broadband unavailable from time to time. This has left me looking bad to say the least.

I have tried the original manufacturer Novatech with no success, they say I am not the orignal warranty holder.

I would really like to know if microsoft have any record of validating this operating system on this machine. If they have a record of a valid operating system registered against this pc. Also how the status on the same pc and operating system software can change from genuine to not genuine, when nothing basic has changed, apart from attaching to sky broadband by wireless nic.

We cannot afford another 97 pounds to purchase another xp pro o/s. I certainly would not have bought the pc under these circumstances if the WGA tool had not said it was genuine. I have since found out a bit about microsoft licensing, could it have been valid for retail use with a volume key? Please enlighten, I am deeply confused, embarrassed and very hassled by all this.  I enclose the results of the WGA Diagnostic test:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Validation Code: 3

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DWVTG-TWQGM-379BG

Windows Product Key Hash: h5M23ofUICvtg9HdAfGPqxUcVQc=

Windows Product ID: 55274-649-9780821-23177

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {920FD3C8-CBE4-4AA9-890A-888109DD9E2D}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 3

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.18.7

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{920FD3C8-CBE4-4AA9-890A-888109DD9E2D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-379BG</PKey><PID>55274-649-9780821-23177</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1343024091-1914320947</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>SiS</Manufacturer><Model>730S</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>062710                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>19970715000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F227379F0184A049</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Best Wishes

Darren

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:46 PM

Answers

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on your options which will include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:46 PM