Excluding portions of a page in site search results RRS feed

• Question

• I have a website that is indexed by the major search engines with good results. I am also utilizing live search as my local site search provider (using the "site:" filter in the search API).

For the local site search, I would like to be able to fine-tune the results to ignore text that appears in the site menus on some pages. Is there a way to classify search results in such a way? Alternatively, is there a way of ignoring certain markup in a page (menus) as the site is crawled?

Thanks,

Mike
    • Moved by Brett Yount Monday, March 16, 2009 10:24 PM (Moved from Crawling/Indexing Feedback and Discussion to Live Search API 2.0 )
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the additional information. At this point we cannot suggest any solution for your issue. Search Engines generally match all words found in web pages; we don't offer abilities to not match a certain portion of the webpage.

- Roopali

• Proposed as answer by Roopalik Friday, March 20, 2009 3:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike0514 Friday, March 20, 2009 10:59 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

There is no support for classifying search results through the API as mentioned in your scenario above. But we would like to know more details about your website to see if we can help you in any other way. Can you tell us why you don't want the site menu to be indexed? If you prefer, you can send me an email at roopalik at microsoft dot com with the details and I can forward it to the appropriate person on my team who can help you.

Thanks
    Roopali
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Hi Roopali, thanks for the response.

The site is http://www.crystaldesignsbytina.com/jewelry and the site menu has many of the keywords customers search for. While this is good for the rankings from the global search results, it causes the local site search to return unrelated pages. For example, if the search term is "earrings", then all pages get returned in the results since that phrase appears in the menu of all pages. I would think this is a common scenario and was wondering how other sites deal with it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the additional information. At this point we cannot suggest any solution for your issue. Search Engines generally match all words found in web pages; we don't offer abilities to not match a certain portion of the webpage.

- Roopali

• Proposed as answer by Roopalik Friday, March 20, 2009 3:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike0514 Friday, March 20, 2009 10:59 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Understood, thanks.

Mike
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:59 AM