LSI MegaRaid 9240 does not work on WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I just made a home server PC run WHS2011 for my backup server

and I have problem with my raid card which has 6 2TB HDDs run Raid5

the windows devices manager always shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" on the raid card

I tried both lenovo server driver and LSI official windows 2008r2 driver

neither of them work

and I also reinstall the windows couple times, and try to preinstall those drivers

but still not work

does that means WHS2011 not compatible with LSI 9240?

or is there anything I need to do in order to make this raid card work?

Thx for help

Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• I would expect that the Windows Server 2008 R2 driver would work. Are you sure you injected the driver the correct way, and at the correct time during installation? The manual you received with the card should explain how to install drivers when installing an operating system.

If you need more assistance with the card, you can wait for someone who has one to reply, but in app probability you will eventually have to contact the manufacturer of the RAID HBA for assistance.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:46 PM
  • looking at your post, you mention lenovo. Did this come out of a lenovo server, sometimes server oem's tie hardware to their systems. Could be the raid card has lenovo oem firmware and may only work in a lenovo. You could trying flashing the firmware to an lsi branded card.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• I would expect that the Windows Server 2008 R2 driver would work. Are you sure you injected the driver the correct way, and at the correct time during installation? The manual you received with the card should explain how to install drivers when installing an operating system.

If you need more assistance with the card, you can wait for someone who has one to reply, but in app probability you will eventually have to contact the manufacturer of the RAID HBA for assistance.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:46 PM
  • looking at your post, you mention lenovo. Did this come out of a lenovo server, sometimes server oem's tie hardware to their systems. Could be the raid card has lenovo oem firmware and may only work in a lenovo. You could trying flashing the firmware to an lsi branded card.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi Tom

My card is LSI Megaraid card, not lenovo server card

because lenovo used order LSI driver so I tested it

I asked LSI support, and they gave me newer signed drivers to test

but still no work

I tried to use the same system to install windows 7, and got same problem

so I switch the raid card to my order AMD system and install WHS2011, and it sucessful install the raid card

it's more like the hardware compitable issue between SAS20XX series and Sandybridge LGA1155 system board

because other forums also have people got similer issues with sandybridge boards

I contact motherboard manufacture and still wait for their reply

thx for your suggestion

Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem with the LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i and an LGA 1155 motherboard (the Intel DQ67EP) under WHS 2011.  I'm just got the card replaced and the new card is experiencing the same problem.

I'm not sure where the compatibility problems lie.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:20 AM
  • I am having the same problem on a Lenovo ThinkServer TS430 with the LSI 9240-8i card as well.  I have tried the latest drivers from LSi, Lenovo and even from Intel.  None of them seem to work.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

I have contacted both Lenovo and LSI and so far neither one has a solution.  LSI says that they don't support (at least not yet) WHS2011 (and he claimed that the Intel driver should work) and the Lenovo tech had never even heard of WHS2011.

Thank you,

David H.

David W Heiman
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Had same problem with MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i and ASUS P8H67-M motherboard, flashing latest firmware 20.10.1-0061 to the controller resolved this issue.
    • Proposed as answer by schford Tuesday, July 3, 2012 11:06 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:09 AM
  • I have the same problem and can't find a fix.  How have you been able to flash the latest firmware?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Julesroad,

No, I never did get mine to work.  I ended up giving up on the card and just using the native raid.

David W Heiman

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:30 AM