none
Unable to generate result after launch of .APPX file similar to .EXE file for offline desktop application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an Java Desktop Application (.jar ) and then converted the same (created .batch file to trigger the application .jar file) to Executable (.exe) using Advanced Installer 14.5.2. Therefore I have build an sote APP (.appx) file using Advanced Installer 15.6 from my executable file.

Now when I install and launch the app. I am getting a about java screen popup which is not the scenario if I launch the executable.

The problem I am thinking is at Conversion of .exe to .appx. Here in Application Details tab under Advanced Installer, I have start point configuration where I con't able locate my application (.batch or .jar file) and it is by default pointed to aboutjava.exe.

I am working on following environment

Operating System: Windows 10 version 1803 (OS build 17134.523)

Development Environment: JDK1.7.79

Running Environment: JRE1.7.79 or above

Monday, February 4, 2019 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I need to confirm something first. The store app you mentioned about, is it converted from DAC? 

It looks like that the converted UWP app haven't find the path for your executable when converting from the Advanced Installer. If you are using DAC to convert your app, you could try to add -AppExecutable to assign the executable of the app. You just need to the get the output exe path and use that for -AppExecutable. For example like this:

DeskTopAppConverter.exe -Installer C:\xxx.exe -Destination C:\Folder -PackageName "xxx" -InstallerArguments "/S /v/qn" -Publisher "xxx" -Version 1.0.0.0 -MakeAppx -AppExecutable
    "C:\Program Files(x86)\xxx\xxx\xxx.exe" -sign

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:12 AM
  • No I haven't converted it through DAC (Desktop App Convertor). I have created the .appx using Advance Installer 15.6 Express instead of DesktopAppConverter.exe as alternate way for UWP conversion.
    Instead of DesktopAppConvertor we can use AdvanceInstaller (Express) which developed in partnership with Microsoft (as stated by Bogdan Mitrache, member of the team that builds Advanced Installer). [Reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48226401/using-desktop-app-converter-sticks-at-waiting-for-installer-process-to-complete].

Alternatively I also tried to convert UWP using DAC (DesktopAppConverter.exe & Windows_BaseImage_DAC_17134.wim) through powershell from my executable file and their I have been stucked after getting the message "Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment". This issue I have posted in another thread: 'Unable to build app store app from my offline executable desktop application using Desktop App Convertor'.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I have to say that questions about advance installer is not supported here as it is out of the scope of UWP forum. I'll continue to offer help with the another about DAC.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:08 AM