WHS wouldn't start anymore RRS feed

• Question

• My 2 year old WHS - HP MediaSmart - is acting up. It worked great for me all this time. Two weeks ago I moved my office into a different room and hooked up the network together only few days later. Everything pickup and is running fine except for the WHS... The power & network indicators are fine. The health indicator goes starts with red/blue blinking and few seconds later turns into just blue blinking (approx every second). I can head hard drives running for at least few minutes but none of the 4 hard drive indicators are lit up. I tried pressing the Status/Recovery botton with a paper clip but get nothing since the Health indicator is blinking blue and not red.

Any ideas what I can do t get it up and running again before I try the Server Recovery disk? (I have 2+GB of data on the server which I have no other backup of. Ironically the WHS is the server and the backup...)

The fact that I have setup the WHS to run on a static IP address may have something to do with the issue although I have not done any changes in the router...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Thank you, Serge B.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:21 AM

All replies

• Have you hooked up a monitor and keyboard/mouse to see what is happening when it boots up? If it does boot up, you can logon locally and see what the console is telling you.

Since you have an HP product, is it still under warranty? You should contact HP for support as well.

D

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:26 AM
  • I certainly would've hooked up monitor if there was video output but HP MediaSmart doesn't have one...

As far as the HP support, I'm sure I'm out of warranty by now as it's been over two years. Besides, even if still was under warranty I wouldn't do that anyway - I've done that once and it frigging waste of my time and they were frigging useless!

Any more ideas are ver welcome at this point.

Thanks!

Thank you, Serge B.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Is the server visible on the network at all? (Probably not.) Do the lights on the server's network interface (on the back) show any activity? If not, there's a problem with the server's network connection. That could be a failed NIC, in which case you would have to replace the server (the NIC is integrated on the motherboard), or a bad cable, or a bad port on a switch, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:13 PM
  •  The power & network indicators are fine. The health indicator goes starts with red/blue blinking and few seconds later turns into just blue blinking (approx every second). I can head hard drives running for at least few minutes but none of the 4 hard drive indicators are lit up. I tried pressing the Status/Recovery botton with a paper clip but get nothing since the Health indicator is blinking blue and not red.

Hi,

First if the network light it lit it means you have a physical connection to the network - it doesn't mean the network is operational.  When your server starts, a blue blinking system light means the OS is starting - this includes checking the disk, if you have 4 large disks this will take a while.   There is no need to do a recovery just wait until the process has finished.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Sorry about that, I didn't know the HP Mediasmart WHS had no video out. It surprises me.

Doesn't really leave you alot to go on, when you have zero visibility to the server, does it.

Anyways, I'll let the people that are more knowledgeable with the product than myself give better advice :)

D

Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:01 AM