none
MS Money won't now start - PLEASE HELP RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Money 2005 (uk) version 14 I think

anyway, I now have a very frustrating problem - the software has now decided (after many many years of using it and re-installing a few times) to stop working

when I click on the application it tries to open for about a second and then immediately closes

I have just spent over 2 hours trying to research and fix this and uninstalled and re-installed about 10 times (at least) and every time exactly the same problem

It is not a problem with the data file as I have not managed to ever get that far, as the software just now won't open

I am hoping there is someone out there that can please help me to get the software to work again?

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi

It is NOT a permission issue, run as Adminstrator as a DIFFERENT user does work.

elvating the current user to administrator level and running as administrator does NOT work.

It is something that money is putting into the profile.

Sorry. I finally get it.

What I would do is to create a new non-administrative user and see if that user could run Money. If he can, I would use this procedure:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:50 PM

All replies

• Do what DominicP says below first....

Only do the following if that does not fix things:

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder
    (typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\ ) to your Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate to the Portfolio.  Does it display?  If not, the problem is probably with your installation.

If Sample.mny works, your installation is probably OK. While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem
    with your Money installation or your Windows settings. We will discuss that if it comes to that.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:51 AM
  • If you have Money 2005 UK (Money 14) you need the updated installation file from http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/8/858EDC2F-1806-4D2D-85E3-0FBB08CB720A/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe or you will not be able to open your data file when you get that far.

From your symptoms, I think you have either a damaged installation disk or a problem with your Windows system.

Try the updated installation file. If that crashes or closes immediately on opening you have a problem with your Windows system.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

There is a definite problem with the windows settings, and ideally I would rather not rebuild my entire system, just to fix the issue with MS Money, hopefully I won't need to do that

I am aware of the 2nd step needed to be able to open the data file but my installation that had previously been working just suddenly stopped working

I now never get to the point of being able to open any data file, essentially what happens is the program won't launch - you see the splash screen for a very brief nano second and then it closes immediately, so the program just won't launch

This issue has just for some reason started randomly but must be due to some setting changed in windows forcing the program to not work.

I wasted 2 and a half hours with several re-installs and failed miserably to fix the issue

Hopefully you can help so that I don't need to rebuild my system

Thanks

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:27 PM
  • I have already replied to Cal which should probably explain my problem

Mainly the issue is the software itself just won't open, so I must have done some change on my windows settings to stop the program from launching

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

There is a definite problem with the windows settings, and ideally I would rather not rebuild my entire system, just to fix the issue with MS Money, hopefully I won't need to do that

I am aware of the 2nd step needed to be able to open the data file but my installation that had previously been working just suddenly stopped working

I now never get to the point of being able to open any data file, essentially what happens is the program won't launch - you see the splash screen for a very brief nano second and then it closes immediately, so the program just won't launch

This issue has just for some reason started randomly but must be due to some setting changed in windows forcing the program to not work.

I wasted 2 and a half hours with several re-installs and failed miserably to fix the issue

Hopefully you can help so that I don't need to rebuild my system

Thanks

It is critical that you re-reinstall Money 2005 UK with the downloaded install file pointed to by DominicP and the first post in this forum, if you reinstalled using your original Money install CD. That CD depended on a server that no longer exists. I doubt that alone will get you going again however, because reinstalling from the problem CD would have given a different symptom.

Make a copy of your *.mny and *.mbf files onto other media. We don't want something useful to get somehow overwritten while you are working. It would also be terrible if you had a hard drive crash.

After your re-reinstall, copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\ ) to your Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Does it open successfully? The answer to that will determine your next steps.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I am sorry to say that does not help, exact same problem

This has to be a problem with my PC, I can use the original CD to load onto a seperate laptop with no problems

but then doing the re-install to my PC, I encounter the exact same problem

I suspect if I re build my PC from scratch, this will solve the issue with MS Money but I think that option is a bit extreme

Any help you can offer is of course much appreciated

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:21 PM
  • This has to be a problem with my PC, I can use the original CD to load onto a seperate laptop with no problems but then doing the re-install to my PC, I encounter the exact same problem
    The original CD should NOT work on ANY machine.  The servers that a fresh CD install require are  simply not there any more.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:07 PM
  • No UK version of Money has needed access to a server to install.

The latest UK version is Money 2005 and can only be successfully installed with the QFE2 installation file because the online update to the installation disk needed to enable access to the updated .mny data file is no longer available.

Access to online facilities used to need a Microsoft Passport (now replaced by a Windows Live ID). Microsoft Passports should have been removed long ago (there were online prompts to do that in Money, though the reason was never stated) and replaced with a standard password. Anyone who has not removed a Microsoft Passport cannot now do so because the server needed to authenticate the removal no longer exists.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hello Banjo Mike

The CD will definitely install to any other PC/laptop, but it does then require the additional update that Dominic mentioned

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:15 PM
  • very strange

Everything else on the PC is working perfectly fine, hence my reluctance to start to do a full rebuild just yet. I would rather try to get to the bottom of the problem but I suspect this problem has everyone stumped!

will need to put aside a few hours for a rebuild then?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Cal

any further thoughts?, or am i stuffed?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:20 PM
  • 1. The Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe is a complete installation file, and it does not need the CD to be used at all.

2. The CD-installed version depended on a server to get an update. That updating was done automatically while that update server was serving. Now that CD should not be used for installs.

3. After installing Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe, did you should right-click a copy of Sample.mny that you copied to your Documents folder, and what happens when you did so?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Hello Cal

I already did as you suggested but I have the exact same problem

Also, for clarification, the MS Money software randomly stopped working, when it was previously working ok

The problem remains and I think it is my windows system

My only solution left is a complete rebuild - what do you think?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hello Cal

I already did as you suggested but I have the exact same problem

Also, for clarification, the MS Money software randomly stopped working, when it was previously working ok

The problem remains and I think it is my windows system

My only solution left is a complete rebuild - what do you think?

I think you are saying that when you right-click Sample.mny and choose Open, Money opens  for about a second and then immediately closes.

Next step will be to create a new Windows user with Administrator privilege.
    Switch to that user. Copy Sample.mny to the Documents folder of the new user. Right-click that copy and choose Open as that user. What happens then?

The theory is that if the problem is an IE or other setting, you will get
    default settings for the new user.  If you succeed this way, it could point
    toward the reason the other did not work.  You can delete the new user
    later, and your regular IE settings will not have been changed.

This will be much easier than reinstalling Windows.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I have the same issue but my issue seems to have stemed from changing the server the file was saved on.

If I login in as a different user on the same machine, MS Money works both with the sample and live file.

If I install MS Money on a new laptop and login with the same user who has a roaming profile, MS Money works.

I am installing with a slipstreamed install of the CD with QFE2 installed.

The issue I believes lies in part of the users profile that is not roaming, possibly in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local or C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow, but I have searched and removed all entries I could find referencing MS Money.

Rebuilding the profile is not an option

Where to now?

Mark

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:15 PM
  • I have the same issue but my issue seems to have stemed from changing the server the file was saved on.

If I login in as a different user on the same machine, MS Money works both with the sample and live file.

If I install MS Money on a new laptop and login with the same user who has a roaming profile, MS Money works.

I am installing with a slipstreamed install of the CD with QFE2 installed.

The issue I believes lies in part of the users profile that is not roaming, possibly in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local or C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow, but I have searched and removed all entries I could find referencing MS Money.

Are you saying that from the new laptop you can open a file that is on your local drive in the Documents folder or the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local folder, but that you cannot open a file that is on a different machine that you are accessing via the network?

If this is what you are saying, try closing Money. Browse to the file you are trying to open using Windows Explorer. Right-click that file, and choose Open. What happens?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:44 PM
  • To clarify

Two Desktop's running Windows 7 64Bit

One laptop running Windows 7 64Bit

Roaming profiles on both

Both running the QFE2 version of money.

On the desktops, Money will not open ANY Money files

On the laptop, Money will open all Money files

Another user on the desktop, ie not the original user that uses Money normally, Money opens without an issue

What I was saying was I believe there is some Money setting somewhere on the desktops which is trying to access a folder on the old server. I wonder if this is linked to My Documents having moved

With thanks

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Just installed MS Money 2005 on another desktop running Win7 of our domain.

Money will not start for the affected user which means something in the users registry or appdata is causing the issue.

Have purge the registry entry and the appdata both local and roaming for MS Money and the problem is still there.

Tried using process monitor to establish which user files are being changed but they are only the ones I had already deleted.

Tried resharing the old folder on the server with no joy

Help!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Just installed MS Money 2005 on another desktop running Win7 of our domain.

Money will not start for the affected user which means something in the users registry or appdata is causing the issue.

Have purge the registry entry and the appdata both local and roaming for MS Money and the problem is still there.

Tried using process monitor to establish which user files are being changed but they are only the ones I had already deleted.

Tried resharing the old folder on the server with no joy

Help!

I think you may have installed Money 2005 UK using the Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe installation file onto a Win7 computer. The installation works fine with a Money file in the Documents folder, including Sample.mny,  of the user, but it does not successfully work with the *.mny file across the network. I am thinking you are talking about working across the network since you told us of your domain. Does that describe your situation?

Yet you are saying that Money does not start. So maybe Money is not working  with a Money file in the Documents folder. In that case, see if a new user on that machine can open Money with a data file in his local Documents folder. If that works, then an IE setting would be the probable cause, because the new user gets default IE settings. It could be some other condition for that user.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:33 AM
  • I installed MS Money using a slimstreamed CD although should have the original CD somewhere which I can then apply QFE2 to.

I copy the affected .mny file to c:\users\username and double clicked in when logged in as a the user and the file did not open

I then logged in as a local administrator on the machine and double clicked said file and it did open.

Our Documents folder is a folder redirection as has moved since last week and it is since this move that the issue has started

Moved from \\zdata2\folderdirection\%username%\documents to \\zdata1\foldersdirection\%username%\documents

Could something in IE be pointing towards the old \\zdata2 link?

However BOTH the old share and the new share are available still

With thanks

Mark

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:08 PM
  • I installed MS Money using a slimstreamed CD although should have the original CD somewhere which I can then apply QFE2 to.

I copy the affected .mny file to c:\users\username and double clicked in when logged in as a the user and the file did not open

I then logged in as a local administrator on the machine and double clicked said file and it did open.

Our Documents folder is a folder redirection as has moved since last week and it is since this move that the issue has started

Moved from \\zdata2\folderdirection\%username%\documents to \\zdata1\foldersdirection\%username%\documents

Could something in IE be pointing towards the old \\zdata2 link?

However BOTH the old share and the new share are available still

With thanks

Mark

The slipstreamed CD is probably fine. The original CD has no use for installations. You could also use the installation file referenced in the first posting of this forum for installs.

I am not knowledgeable regarding the networking. Identifying whether this is a networking or other problem would be important, I would think.

For testing I might create a new folder called c:\temp on that local computer, and see if things work if you put the *.mny files there. That would eliminate networking. Sometimes it is helpful to right-click the Money launch icon and choose RunAsAdministrator. That should eliminate any local permissions-related problems for testing.

In your troubleshooting, it might help that Money creates a *.lrd record locking file in the same folder as the *.mny file. So you can tell if Money gets that far in opening a file.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Hi

Copied file to c:\temp. Still same issue. No *.lrd being created. So I would say file is not being opened

Running as an administrator (ie NOT the user) works as is is a different user profile. The user does not have local admin rights and never has. Permission on c:\temp and file is all users full control for testing

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi

Copied file to c:\temp. Still same issue. No *.lrd being created. So I would say file is not being opened

Running as an administrator (ie NOT the user) works as is is a different user profile. The user does not have local admin rights and never has. Permission on c:\temp and file is all users full control for testing

I think you are making good progress in characterizing the problem. What I would do next is to have the user try to create a new Money file in c:\temp with File->New->NewFile.

When I launch IE with RunAsAdministrator, I get my regular user environment such as Trusted Sites, and other settings. So it is not a completely different user. Money makes a lot of use of IE, and IE settings can affect Money.

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Because the user can't open Microsoft Money, It is not possible to create a new file.

Likewise because the user does not have local admin rights, it is not possible to run as administrator as the user. In order to run as Administrator i have to enter the username and password for a local administrator in the run as administrator box.

I have tried deleting the users temporaty internet files already

Mark

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:25 AM
  • If that user copies C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\sample.mny to C:\temp\ can that user then open that copy of Sample.mny? If so, that would get Money open.

Another idea that user creates a file with Notepad into C:\temp. Let's call it junk.mny.  Contents don't matter. Close Notepad. He created the file; he should now own it for sure. Then in a command window (or the Start box) he enters "C:\temp\junk.mny" with or without the quotes. That should start Money with an error box saying the file is corrupted. That gets him in to create a Money new file on his own.

I guess I would run "Set" and check what the TMP and TEMP variables point to. They typically point to the same place. If the user does Notepad %TMP%\junk  or Notepad %TEMP%\junk can he create and save a new file?

I opened a copy of sample.mny in C:\temp using Money Plus (version=17) on Win7, and I looked at the files in the user space with a timestamp in that timeframe:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat   (688 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\MSHist012012102620121027\index.dat   (32 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat   (7392 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat   (96 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles   (10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\JETDEB5.tmp   (0 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:28 AM)
      C:\Users\username\ntuser.dat.LOG1   (256 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:30 AM)
      C:\Users\username\ntuser.dat   (4608 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:30 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\JETEC4C.tmp   (8 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:32 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\H9EAB1TI\404cust[2].htm   (10 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:38 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp   (10/26/2012 10:37:38 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\settings\ClientPolicy.ini   (5 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:39 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\H9EAB1TI   (10/26/2012 10:37:39 AM)
      C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\H9EAB1TI\404cust[1].htm   (10 KB,  10/26/2012 10:37:39 AM)

Something there may help you, even though the versions don't match what you are using. In particular, I found the VirtualStore entry to be interesting. I wonder if your systems follow the behavior of having attempted writes to ProgramFiles to go to the Virtual Store.

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I will retry the creation of a dummy file on Monday but I gave the user full rights to c:\temp already

Money just will not open irrespective of how I try and open it

I also noticed the virualStore in processmonitor and had emptied both it and the temporary internet files.

I suspect there is something in ntuser.dat which has gone bad but as i have checked the registry, I am baffled

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:02 PM
  • I created the file as you suggested in numerous locations on the desktop and irrespective of the location, when it was double clicked, Money opened and closed straight away.

I have even tried removing the entire Microsoft folder from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local with no difference.

It is as is Money is opening a file somewhere else in the userspace which is just not showing up.

With many thanks

Mark

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I created the file as you suggested in numerous locations on the desktop and irrespective of the location, when it was double clicked, Money opened and closed straight away.

I have even tried removing the entire Microsoft folder from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local with no difference.

It is as is Money is opening a file somewhere else in the userspace which is just not showing up.

With many thanks

Mark

I think would "Ask a question" into http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security where you will probably find somebody with the scoop on where the permissions can get you in trouble. I would refer to this thread in addition to a repeat of the problem. Include that RunAsAdministrator works. Let us know what you find.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi

It is NOT a permission issue, run as Adminstrator as a DIFFERENT user does work.

elvating the current user to administrator level and running as administrator does NOT work.

I don't believe asking in the security forum is going to help as it is not a permission issue

Mark

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi

Sorry. I finally get it.

What I would do is to create a new non-administrative user and see if that user could run Money. If he can, I would use this procedure:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:50 PM
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:05 PM
  • I already know that another user can run Money and if I recreate the profile and copy everything back except for

Ntuser.dat

Ntuser.dat.log

Ntuser.ini

It all works, this is what i think I will have to do.

• Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:21 PM
  • I have been using MS Money 2002 and have faced similar problems when Windows OS has been upgraded from 7 to 8 and then to 10.<o:p></o:p>

Somewhere on a website I saw a solution that had intricate instructions on changing some registry entries. I tried it and it worked.<o:p></o:p>

But the problem reappeared... so it seems that the problem is a function of the hardware, OS and the specific MS Money version.<o:p></o:p>

In the latest instance of the problem I installed MS Money 2002 Standard Edition Version 10 on a laptop with Win 8.1 Pro 2013. It worked for a day. The next day it came with an error message. So I re-installed Money. It worked again, but did not work the next day. <o:p></o:p>

One simple solution that has worked for me to to turn off Money Express. Once I did that, Money has been working quite fine. I don't know if this will last. Keeping my fingers crossed.<o:p></o:p>

I had read about this solution somewhere on the net, but cannot locate the webpage now.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:21 PM