Encypting files to only be accessed by domain RRS feed

• Question

• Let me preface this by saying: I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to IT stuff (I'm a programmer and so I know about web servers and the like, but not things like this).

What I want to do is create a couple of back-up servers that run WHS. They will both reside on my domain. I would like to make it so that my back-up drives are encrypted. In other words, I would like all domain computers to be able to access the files seamlessly through the domain, but if, for example, one of the back-up servers were stolen the files would not be retrievable.

Does anyone know how this could be accomplished?

Thanks!
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Windows Home Server cannot be member of a domain (although it can backup domain computers) - this is not only against the EULA, but also technically enforced by rebooting a server all about one or two hours, if it has been made a member of the domain.
    Encryption of data is also not supported. Besides that are the backups not accessible directly, but only via the WHS console. Accessing the console requires a password, which is the local Administrator password of the server (so you should not share it with users). There is no known tool to read the backup database without the console.
    As file server in the domain I recommend to use one of the normal servers, because you would have to maintain local user accounts otherwise on each WHS and keep them synchronized with domain accounts to allow access to the shared folders based on user permissions.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:12 AM