Synctoy2, not able to copy files from XP Home to Vista Home x64, permission problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I downloaded and installed SyncToy 2 (x64) on my laptop which is running Vista Home Premium x64.   I paired a folder on the laptop with a shared folder from my desktop computer which is running XP Home Edition.   Well, Synctoy 2 runs well and does great except for several files (usually ppt and doc files) which it fails on giving the error "Cannot read from source".   I was confused by this since I can open the shared folder and see the files, but then I realized that I cannot copy the files from the desktop to the laptop as I recieve the error "You need permission to perform this action".
    Since I'm using the Home Edition of XP on the desktop, I do not have access to several security features that I would find in XP Pro.   Since I am using Vista Home Premium, I do not have access to  secpool.msc so that I might make changes to the LanManager settings.   I did change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa LmCompatibilityLevel key to 1 (from 3), but this did nothing.   Both disks are NTFS.
    How am I supposed to get around this and use SyncToy 2?

Edit:
    Just wanted to add - On the desktop (XP Home), trying to set the permissions of the folder (through the Properties dialog) to turn OFF Read-only, does not stick.   I suppose if I had XP Pro on the Desktop system I would have access to the Security tab in the Properties dialog...

Edit 2:
    trying to run SyncToy2 as administrator did not fix the problem.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:08 AM

Answers

• Hi -
    You should post this problem on the Windows XP forum since it looks like a permission issue with the OS. If you are manually unable to copy a file form the desktop to the laptop - there is no way SyncToy would be able to do this ( it runs entirely at the application level and cannot circumvent any OS level permissions that are set).

Thanks for using SyncToy.
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• Are you syncing the personal files from XP to Vista? such as "my document" or "my pictures", If yes, I have list a folder mapping between XP and Vista as below, hope can give you a hand.

Folder name

XP OS

Vista OS

My document               

C:\documents and settings\<your user account name>\My Documents

C:\Users\<your user account name>\Documents

My pictures

C:\documents and settings\<your user account name>\My Documents\My Pictures

C:\Users\<your user account name>\Pictures

My music

C:\documents and settings\<your user account name>\My Documents\My Music

C:\Users\<your user account name>\Music

My video

C:\documents and settings\<your user account name>\My Documents\My Video

C:\Users\<your user account name>\Videos

more informations please take a look this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/b29f351b-53fd-4a0c-8a6b-63578fd75796

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Hey Joey Liang,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.   I am not syncing from the "My Document" or "My Pictures" folders.   The paired folders are a folder that I created on the Desktops of both systems.   The folder I created contains several subfolders, which I have also created.   I update files on both systems, and add new files on both systems.   The problem seems isolated to large new files on the Windows XP Home system (my Desktop), which don't seem to have the right permissions (set to "Read only"?) to allow them to sync to the folder on the Vista Home Premium (x64) system (my Laptop).   I've noticed this problem crop up specifically with Powerpoint (.ppt), Acrobat (.pdf), and Word (.doc) documents.   This is really a shame, since it forces me to hand copy these files using a USB key, something I want to avoid since I tend to make mistakes, and it defeats the purpose of SyncToy.
    Do you have any other things I could try?

Thanks again.

Edit:
    After checking on the thread you linked to, it seems that the Original Poster ended up using a workaround solution, but also mentioned that SyncToy cannot read inside the folders.   I have to reiterate, these are not folders or files in "My Document" or "My Pictures" folders, but folders/subfolders/files that I have manually created.   Also the main folder (that contains the subfolders) on my XP Home system is shared so my Vista Home Premium (x64) system can access it.   If I were to guess, I would say that security on my XP Home system is not allowing me to copy the files to my Vista Home Premium (x64) system...

Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:46 PM
  • HI friend,

You would like to sync files from a folder in desktop computer(XP) to laptop(vista), right? I suggest you install synctoy2.0 on laptop(Vista), that will avoid to setting writing permission of target folder.  Please try steps following as:

1.      share out your source folder on XP, you may initialize setting “read for everyone” for testing(not consider security issue).

2.      make sure you can access XP share folder on Vista – on vista, access network path run CMD such as “\\XP_Machine_Name\Share_Folder_Name, share folder should can be opened, also share files should can be copied.

3.      install synctoy2.0 on laptop(Vista), run synctoy, create a ECHO sync pair, left folder set as “\\XP_Machine_Name\Share_Folder_Name”, right folder set as local tagert folder.

4.      run sync, check the result.

About the access premission,  Synctoy does not perform any authentication on the folders that are involved in synchronization. You must authenticate the folders that are used before sync.

About you said “this problem crop up specifically with Powerpoint (.ppt), Acrobat (.pdf), and Word (.doc) documents”, please make sure you didn’t opened thoses files and not create any filter on synctoy.

If issue still happened,  could you look into the log by "View log" and share out the log info, may we can find more to help you resolve your problem.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Yiming L Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Deepa Choundappan Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Hi -
    You should post this problem on the Windows XP forum since it looks like a permission issue with the OS. If you are manually unable to copy a file form the desktop to the laptop - there is no way SyncToy would be able to do this ( it runs entirely at the application level and cannot circumvent any OS level permissions that are set).

Thanks for using SyncToy.
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:55 PM