Cannot Configure Backup with Sitecom MD250 Network Drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

Since installing the latest version of OneCare on my laptop and my wife's laptop, we cannot complete the backup.  We are both using Windows XP Pro SP2.

I have a Sitecom MD250 network drive with a 500Gbyte disc connected.  I have configured the SMB part of the drive and (wit the prvious version of OneCare) performed several backups successfully.

With the same settings, OneCare reports that the drive is not ready - which it is.  The permission are also OK as we use this drive to store photgraphs and documents.

When I go into Change Setting / Backup / Configure Backup  and on the Network Share I click on Select Location

but when I navigate to the correct location OneCare gives an error saying that only SMB shares are allowed BUT this is a SMB share.

Pleae can you help.

Keith
    Monday, February 18, 2008 2:14 PM

Answers

• I suspect that the drive already has a backup for both PCs on the share that you are pointing to. Remove those backups, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2, and then configure backup on each PC:

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the Share you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

The Share needs to be configured to allow all users full rights to the share.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• I suspect that the drive already has a backup for both PCs on the share that you are pointing to. Remove those backups, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2, and then configure backup on each PC:

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the Share you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

The Share needs to be configured to allow all users full rights to the share.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Thank you for the very prompt reply.  I am working in Spain at the moment but will give this a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Keith

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Hi Steve

I did all the above and deleted all of the previous backups from both PC's.

But when I try and specify the network location it gives the following message:

The drive is called PCSPEN10 and the SMB is called PUBLIC.  So I am entering \\pcspen10\public\

"The network share name you have entered is not supported, only SMB shares are supported.  Please change the name and try again."

I am using Sitecoms Network Software to set-up the SMB and I know it is OK.

If it helps, if you send me your email address, I can send you screen shots of the errors and the SMB set-up.

Many thanks.

Keith

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Hi Steve

I tried different ways to attach the network and finally it is working.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Keith

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:59 PM
  • You're welcome, Keith. So we can mark your thread as answered, what specific method did you find to work for you?

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi Steve

Yes it is working, but I must admit I still get errors although repeating the operation a few times it eventually works.

I think OneCare would have to look at this.

Thanks

Keith

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Mr. Boots,

I also have a home network setup and recently put in a nas drive as well. I have the same issue of LiveOneCare backup system telling me I have an invalid smb name. I am pretty sure the smb system on the drive is working as the rest of window recognizes the drive and folders....only OneCare complains.... If you have a solution to this please let me know....and from what I am seeing other people are have a problem with nas drives as well...

btw I am using a Cintre EZlink nas ZDisc Model CI-NAS100U2 - I have 4 laptops, all running Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Live One Care ( all legal - had to buy two complete live one care's one in my name and one in my wife's name - odd structure you folks have there...)

Paul E. Smith II

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Yes, I agree that the need for two subscriptions is a pain, by the way...

I wish that I could tell you that I have an answer for the issues people are encountering with NAS devices. If you've read through this forum folder for backup, I'm sure that you'll see that there are many topics remaining open for NAS backup failing. There are a number of success stories, too, however.

The basics for how this "should" work is that you need to create a Share on the NAS for the OneCare backup. Then, on that Share, you need to set the permissions to allow all users full control of the files in that Share.

To point to the Share, some have reported that the path \\server\share\folder works and in other cases it requires an explicit IP address \\1.1.1.1\share\folder

And, in yet other cases, the solution is to map a drive to the Share and then use Centralized backup to configure the mapped location as the target for backup.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Thanks for the choice of two methods, and frank assessment. I haven't done a onecare backup for at least 6 months, since I started encountering the same or similar problem. Are these still the most current approaches ?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Yes, there's still no change to this approach.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:55 PM