Deleting non-profit solution - many, many errors RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to delete the non-profit solution (we only have a couple of test environments at the moment), to test some things in base CRM functionality.  However, when I attempt this I get a long list of errors that I can't delete the solution because a number of things depend on it (note: installing this solution is the only modification I've made in this particular environment).  My understanding of solutions is that they were supposed to be non-invasive to the base - basically, the point of using them was that you could segregate a group of changes for, among other things, easy roll-back.  That does not seem to be the case here.  Am I misunderstanding something, or just doing something wrong?

Added for clarity:  I know multiple ways to move on without this - my issue is that I want to understand why this specific solution works this way, since we're evaluating whether or not to use it.  Thanks!
    • Edited by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:13 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

• It all depends on how carefully the managed solution has been built by the author.. it is very easy to form dependencies unwittingly. I'm not sure you'll get the person who built this solution answering your question here so you may never know why it works the way it does.

As I say, check the dependencies to see what's preventing the uninstallation.

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

• Marked as answer by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:32 PM

All replies

• hi Alison,

your understanding applies only to managed solutions. They are like application installed on top of CRM. Delete it and all components including data will be removed.

unmanaged solutions, once installed will become part of CRM. Looks like you are using unmanaged soLution.

to test base version of.CRM functions, you could go to deployment manager and create a new organization

only issue with this is that the data will be missing

you can also Install/uninstall test data into the new organization.

regards

Jithesh

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Unfortunately, that's not the case - the solution in question is the one from Microsoft Dynamics Labs, and it is in fact managed (and it shows as managed in CRM as well).
    Monday, October 27, 2014 8:07 PM
  • could you please specify the name of the solution. And a picture of what is wrong. Some one may be able to help you.

regards

Jithesh

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:57 AM
  • Sorry - I thought Dynamics Labs only had one non-profit solution, so didn't realise I needed to bother with the exact name.  :-)   The solution is called MicrosoftDynamicsCRMforNonProfitOrganizations.  When I try to delete it, I get the following errors (and many more - this was just all that could fit on one screen)...

Hmmm.  The forum will not allow me to add an image.  Okay, the screen says "Solution Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations cannot be deleted. The following components are required by other components in the system."

Album (msdyn_contact_album) msdyn_contact_album EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Campaign (msdyn_campaign_contact) msdyn_campaign_contact EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Active Constituents) Active Constituents System Chart Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Household/Organization (Form)
    Constituent (Age) msdyn_age Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Donor) msdyn_donor Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Educational Institutions) msdyn_educationalinstitutions Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Employer Match Available) msdyn_employermatchavailable Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Employer Match Limit) msdyn_employermatchlimit Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Employer Match Percentage) msdyn_employermatchpercentage Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Employer) msdyn_employerid Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Facebook) msdyn_facebook Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Graduation Date) msdyn_graduationdate Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Income Bracket) msdyn_incomebracket Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Lifetime Donation Amount) msdyn_lifetimedonationamount Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Lifetime Donations) msdyn_lifetimedonations Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Lifetime Volunteer Hours) msdyn_lifetimevolunteerhours Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (Linked-In) msdyn_linkedin Field Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (msdyn_account_contact) msdyn_account_contact EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (msdyn_account_contact) msdyn_account_contact EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Household/Organization (Form)
    Constituent (msdyn_account_contact_employment) msdyn_account_contact_employment EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Constituent (Form)
    Constituent (msdyn_account_contact_employment) msdyn_account_contact_employment EntityRelationship Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Nonprofit Organizations Household/Organization (Form)

And so on....for a couple more pages.

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Hi Allison,

I can't comment on the Dynamics Labs solution you're using, however, here's how to move your issue forward;

For each component, open it up via the default solution (Settings > Customization > Customize the System) then once found, be it a field, relationship, system chart etc, click 'show dependencies' (this tends to be in the 'More Actions' option). That should give you a clue as to why the system won't allow you to delete it. Chances are those fields are on a published form or view or dashboard or referenced in a workflow for example. You will have to eliminate these dependencies before the solution can be uninstalled (i.e. remove fields from any forms, remove fields from any system views, remove charts from dashboards, remove steps in workflow that reference these fields and so on).

Not fun I know. It may be quicker for your admin to delete the org and provision a new one for you.

Rob

• Proposed as answer by Rob Boyers Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Yeah - I've already provisioned a new org to continue on with my testing.  However, we're considering using the non-profit solution and so I was trying to understand why this was working this way.  Shouldn't a solution be able to remove any dependencies it created automatically, as part of the deletion?  Having to do a bunch of manual changes seems to defeat at least part of the purpose of having changes in a solution...:-(

I know multiple ways to move on without this - my issue is that I want to understand why this specific solution works this way, as part of our evaluation.

Hope that's a little more clear.  (Edited the original question as well.)  Thanks!

• Edited by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:09 PM
  • It all depends on how carefully the managed solution has been built by the author.. it is very easy to form dependencies unwittingly. I'm not sure you'll get the person who built this solution answering your question here so you may never know why it works the way it does.

As I say, check the dependencies to see what's preventing the uninstallation.

Rob

• Marked as answer by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Fair enough.  I just figured if I had a shot, it was in here.  :-)

We may have to just try to rebuild some of it ourselves, then - I'd love to not have to reinvent the wheel but a couple of things about how it works make me a bit hesitant.  Ah well.  Thanks!

I'm also nervous about building our own if it's that easy to accidentally integrate it more than intended.  I'd assumed that would be made hard to do, to try to enforce them being separate.
    • Edited by Allison W Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:38 PM
  • TBH, if a solution like this (which doesn't include much in the way of advanced customisations) helps to run your business, as time goes by it's unlikely you'll ever need to uninstall it. If there are parts that offend, you could simply configure various things to hide them instead of deleting (uninstalling) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Rob

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:52 PM
  • It's more just knowing that it's working the way it should.  If it doesn't uninstall cleanly, that makes me nervous about other aspects performing as desired.  But maybe I'm a bit paranoid that way.  :-)
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:01 PM