none
Open source? RRS feed

• Question

• Since Songsmith is no longer actively developed, I wondered whether you might consider opening some source code? I know Songsmith itself contains licensed properties of Garritan and PG Music (as well as being a Microsoft-branded program) but maybe MySong and its associated experients could be a candidate for open source?
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:04 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the interest in the Songsmith source, but we won't be able to open-source this.

You're correct that Songsmith has dependencies we can't release, and while MySong doesn't have that issue, it has some very outdated dependencies, so it would be a lot of work to get it to a state where it could be meaningfully distributed.  Also, I think it would be much less interesting than you're expecting. :) We couldn't release the lead sheets we used to train the model, which constitute probably the most interesting part; MySong is really just a GUI that plays piano chords in the style of "Let It Be".

We have released the actual transition and observation matrices used in Songsmith/MySong, which are the most useful bits of information for others trying to build on this work.

Sorry we can't release this more easily!

Thanks.

-Dan

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:16 PM
    Owner